Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

A flying visit to London Biggin Hill

Have the CAA explained how flying approaches outside the UK is more dangerous, and offers less training value, than flying approaches inside the UK?

Kent, UK

I go to Calais for the non-ATO part all the time.

But the Visual Approach on the GTN has also been a game changer.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Peter wrote:

The permitted freelance instruction portion in the CBIR can be done anywhere, AFAIK

The part I needed was only ATO part

Is this an actual rule or (another) self perpetuating (false) perception along instructors/ATO?

ATOs have tried doing it and the CAA said NO. And since the CAA “owns” the ATOs (in the same way as the police “owns” the gun shops in the area) nobody questions it.

Whether there has been a recent change, or a legal challenge would sort it, I don’t know.

The permitted freelance instruction portion in the CBIR can be done anywhere, AFAIK.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

The UK CAA has blocked the flying of these outside UK airspace

Is this an actual rule or (another) self perpetuating (false) perception along instructors/ATO?

When I did my MEIR, I had suggested we did a weekend trip to Paris. We ended up not doing it, but the instructor seemed OK with the issue (but said there would be a lot of dead time and that wouldn’t be the most efficient use of our time to pass the test – and he was right, especially since I already had an SEIR)

Nobody wants schools to fly training approaches, unless they pay for it, because you would get loads of traffic from the FTOs.

The UK CAA has blocked the flying of these outside UK airspace, which is a pity because the N French airports are keen to get extra IAP traffic, and perhaps even landings. They can see the writing on the wall otherwise.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Graham wrote:

I think the key is in the words “__reserves the right to charge__”.

I think that if you go there for training, or if ATC think you are training, you can expect to be charged. They certainly don’t want training.

EGKB Biggin Hill

I think the key is in the words “reserves the right to charge”.

EGLM & EGTN

pilotrobbie wrote:

Rumours this would be almost doubling in April.

Can someone elaborate on this?

EGSX

You are lucky. I would expect them to interpret doing a procedural VOR/DME when the radar vectored ILS is available, as training. Why else would you do it?

I am not advocating that you should have been charged, I am delighted you weren’t, just warning people to expect, or at least to be prepared for, it.

EGKB Biggin Hill
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message