Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Fly By / Over Waypoints

RobertL18C wrote:

However if ATC say leave WPT x on heading 230 degrees it would be treated as as fly over.

We get that kind of ATC instruction all the time here at EKRK since the arrival routes have no name and begins at one of two different VORs.
I have always performed turn anticipation just like I would when passing any other en-route waypoint.
Although they probably exist, I have never seen a fly-over waypoint on an en-route or arrival chart.

Last Edited by huv at 15 Feb 20:41
huv
EKRK, Denmark

huv wrote:

We get that kind of ATC instruction all the time here at EKRK since the arrival routes have no name and begins at one of two different VORs.

Is the instruction to leave on a radial or on a heading? If instructed to leave on a radial, then fly-by would certainly make sense. If instructed to leave on a heading, I would fly over.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Generally when you get that instruction it is a relatively small turn and it makes no odds, but if it were a big turn and you flew over you would be significantly displaced. I think that the reason you leave on a heading, not a radial or track, is because it marks the start of radar vectoring as opposed to own navigation and tighter separation can be applied.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Airborne_Again wrote:

Is the instruction to leave on a radial or on a heading?

Sorry, I wasn’t awake. Good question. The instruction is always to leave on a radial. I have have never heard an instruction to leave a waypoint on a specified heading.

Last Edited by huv at 19 Feb 12:14
huv
EKRK, Denmark
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message