Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Full-flap ferry with a TB-20?

“I don’t know the circumstances of the particular TB20 in this thread but clearly there are some difficulties in getting somebody to travel to it and spend time on it”

Qualified engineers at the airfield in question, Peter, and we’re just taking our turn.

Swanborough Farm (UK), Shoreham EGKA, Soysambu (Kenya), Kenya

Peter wrote:

I can imagine that if a PA28 flap mechanism is well buggered / seized / full of muck then the spring won’t be able to raise it, so this would be where the high engine power stunt would come from. Staggering anybody would fly a plane in such a condition, but most of us have seen much worse

Engine vibration and propeller airflow at a sensible rpm are always healthy for an aircraft, they will probably align some pieces back to the state from your last flight

But yes, they will not clear a muddy aircraft, fix what you/other guy break, or give you a new fresh aircraft…

Last Edited by Ibra at 17 Feb 22:43
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

2greens1red wrote:

Qualified engineers at the airfield in question, Peter, and we’re just taking our turn.

2greens1red

I think you just answered your own question!

EGTK Oxford

People have alluded to, but not really said, that one flap retracting at 40’ on takeoff may not be survivable. If you don’t know what the fault is, how can you know that that’s not going to happen.

EGKB Biggin Hill

It doesn’t take much flap asymmetry to spoil your day. Back in the ’80’s I used to fly a very well cared for Piper Aztec F. One night we took off, I was just unhappy enough about the feel of the plane that I elected to return. The faster I flew, the more it rolled right, enough that at cruise speed, there was not enough aileron trim to trim out the roll. Back on the apron, kind of puzzled, I did a much more thorough walk around. everything looked normal, until I found a bump in the riveted trailing edge of the right flap – it was about where a passenger boarding with a suitcase would hit it. The two mating skin trailing edge was bent down about 30 degrees for an inch and a half of flap span, and about a half inch of chord. That dent was not affecting the trim of the plane. But it was acting as a fixed servo tab to the flap, which had just enough freeplay to now fly up a tiny amount, enough to roll the plane at cruise speed. Very carefully applied rag and cardboard cushioned pliers repaired the dent, and she flew as well as before. It does not take much.

On the Found Bush Hawk, adjusting one flap is the means of trimming the aircraft in roll, as the cantilever wing is a single piece, and cannot be adjusted as a Cessna would be.

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada

Indeed; it takes a few mm flap difference to make the plane fly really on the p1ss, and fly a few kt slower.

People have alluded to, but not really said, that one flap retracting at 40’ on takeoff may not be survivable. If you don’t know what the fault is, how can you know that that’s not going to happen.

Agreed; even if one was to depart with the full flap, one would still need to do an inspection of the mechanism beforehand. If that joining tube between the two flaps is broken (see my link above about flap assymetry) then you’re dead.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
36 Posts
Sign in to add your message