Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Best way to remove frost from windshield?

I’ve got a series of flights coming up, where frost on the windshield after an overnight stay is a very real possibility. So here’s the Q: as you cannot use alcohol on the perspex, what do you use? Also, how to prevent frost forming on the inside while taxiing ? Forecast temps for destinations range from -4 to – 15C.

Last Edited by 172driver at 17 Feb 18:31

Cover windscreen overnight. Wait until there’s enough defrost heat to clear the windscreen. Ventilate the cockpit to reduce moisture build-up. For latter you need WARM clothing.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

I just use TKS fluid in a plant sprayer, then wipe it off.

EDLE, Netherlands

AeroPlus wrote:

I just use TKS fluid in a plant sprayer, then wipe it off.

Interesting. The POH explicitly says not to use that. Airplane is a C210.

TKS fluid should be safe because of the propeller TKS systems…

I would not use car deicers because car windows are glass. You never know what’s in them. For example, the Rain-X stuff damages the plastic GA windows…

In the rental scene most people use a credit card to scrape the stuff off, with predictable results, and I am not referring to the credit card

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Do you mean in below freezing conditions or when warmer but with frost on screen?

EGTK Oxford

Frost doesn’t usually stick to Perspex.
We cover the windscreen, then use a common “squeegee” blade to remove the the condensation that collects on the windshield. The kind of thing you would use to wipe down showers, bathroom walls or to clean your windows at home.

Lefty
EGLM

Certainly using a cockpit cover is the best way to avoid the problem in the first place, but it brings with it its own inconveniences e.g. if it is damp, you get the water all over you when folding it up, and then it needs to be suitably packed when inside the plane to prevent the water running off it. Then, after landing, it has to be promptly removed and put back on the plane so it can dry, or whatever. The thing I particularly hate is preparing the plane when it is or has been raining.

A cover also stops people casing the joint

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

JasonC wrote:

Do you mean in below freezing conditions or when warmer but with frost on screen?

Both.

172driver wrote:

Both

Above zero I would use warm water either on its own or in a bag. Below I would use some diluted type 1 deicing fluid. If temp is below freezing I would suggest wings and stab are a far bigger potential problem than the windscreen.

EGTK Oxford
24 Posts
Sign in to add your message