Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

LIEE Cagliari - tips anyone please?

Hi planning to fly to Cagliari in Sardegna on Thursday – was first planning to fly to Trapani Sicily but the Etna appears to be erupting again and there is all sorts of military crap going on which is going to make that a very difficult trip ahead of April of this year.

Handling in Cagliari appears to be mandatory – doing a quick google search (results are all from 2016) and looking through the flying southern Italy thread on this forum it is being called out as a real rip-off. Problem is I promised the wife a trip there :-)

Have flown into Alghero twice now, but would like to do the southern part on this trip. Any good insights – tips or ideas of which handler to go with and not be ripped a second one?

Thanks in advance,
Wim

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

I went there in 2010. It was ok, though they chased me for months afterwards with bizzare questions whether the flight was private or commercial. I paid VAT on the fuel so could not see the issue…

Also check out Oristano. It went bust soon after that trip but I heard it got going again. It is perhaps a nicer bit of Sardinia… There was some weird issue getting avgas there however, while Caglieri was no problem.

As always, if you want the latest, check the AIP and contact the airport direct to double-check.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

You may also look here: Short trip to corse and sardegna

EDDS , Germany

Thanks both, yes did indeed read those threads was wondering if anyone had anything more recent. Aero service it will be then I guess.

Re Cagliari, prepare to pay. A trip to the bathroom for my wife a couple of years ago cost us Euro 240 handling. Avgas price can be eye-watering – check in advance.

Re Etna, flying in Sicily is really not a problem – I have been there twice in the last week, all ops normal.

Last Edited by NeilC at 19 Feb 00:19
NeilC
EGPT, LMML

NeilC wrote:

A trip to the bathroom for my wife a couple of years ago cost us Euro 240 handling.

How did they handle your wife in the bathroom? ;-) Man, and I thought the 70 Eurocents for peeing at German Autobahns is stupid …

just sent Aeroservice a note – let’s see what they come back with and what actually happens :-)

Never got a reply from Aeroservice so checked with the airport PPR service directly who told me to check directly for the PPR with the handler but to also fill out the form for them so they could talk to the handler. Oh yea of little faith, called the Aeroservice where they told me it was all sorted :-) and that they were expecting me on Thursday morning. That was until I asked about the PPR number to put into my flight plan. Which is when they told me they needed to check with COS who had “just” emailed them with the request if they would accept the handling… COS now will send me the PPR number to put in the flight plan. Aeroservice quoted me no more than 150 euros for handling and parking between Thursday and Sunday for my PA24, but cannot check exactly and hence not confirm on email… Guess we’ll see what it really costs once we get there… That is if I ever get the PPR number :-)

Have the PPR now, will update on costs post the trip. Thanks for your help everyone!

150 Euros is about right, at least if you don’t have passengers.

But the big issue in the total cost calculation is the avgas there. About 4 Euros per litre. Yes, no typo. Will you need some? I suggest a short stop on Corsica for fuel.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 19 Feb 17:58
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
23 Posts
Sign in to add your message