Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Does a conversion from 61.75 FAA PPL to standalone FAA PPL affect an FAA IR?

I have a piggybacked FAA PPL and an FAA IR. I’ve decided to go for a standalone FAA CPL for various reasons and, from what I read on this thread, I guess my FAA IR will be transferred to the new standalone FAA CPL automatically?

I think it will – so long as your IR is the full IR and not the “foreign pilot exam” IR which is the other option if you have a 61.75 PPL.

I had a PPL/IR and then did the CPL and the IR carried over fine. However my PPL was the full one and not the 61.75 one.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I did that (from a piggyback PPL + US IFR) to the standalone US-Commercial + IFR.

When you apply for the checkride, make sure you not only have the 10 hours of instruction of complex airplanes, but also that you fulfil all the other flight experience requirements (night cross countries etc.).

Don’t kow about training and checkrides in Europe. It seems to differ from country to country. I would also consider places like Azursky in Cannes.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 11 Jan 07:03
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

do you know if the flight experience I logged BEFORE I got the piggybacked faa ppl and the faa ir can count toward the 250hrs requirements? In particular:

Quoting from FAR AIM 61.129 (my questions are within round brackets):

A person who applies for a commercial pilot certificate with an airplane category and single-engine class rating must log at least 250 hours of flight time as a pilot that consists of at least:

(1) 100 hours in powered aircraft, of which 50 hours must be in airplanes. (does it count what I flew solo before the IR rating?)

(2) 100 hours of pilot-in-command flight time, which includes at least—
(i) 50 hours in airplanes; and (does it count what I flew solo before the IR rating?)
(ii) 50 hours in cross-country flight of which at least 10 hours must be in airplanes. (does it count what I flew solo before the IR rating?)

(3) 20 hours of training on the areas of operation listed in §61.127(b)(1) of this part that includes at least—
(i) 10 hours of instrument training using a view-limiting device including attitude instrument flying, partial panel skills, recovery from unusual flight attitudes, and intercepting and tracking navigational systems. Five hours of the 10 hours required on instrument training must be in a single engine airplane; (my dual FAA IR training should be enough)
(ii) 10 hours of training in an airplane that has a retractable landing gear, flaps, and a controllable pitch propeller, or is turbine-powered; (this I have to do: the instructor must be necessarily an FAA one?)
(iii) One 2-hour cross country flight in a single engine airplane in daytime conditions that consists of a total straight-line distance of more than 100 nautical miles from the original point of departure; (I think we did during dual IR training)
(iv) One 2-hour cross country flight in a single engine airplane in nighttime conditions that consists of a total straight-line distance of more than 100 nautical miles from the original point of departure; and (can this be done within the 10hrs of point ii above?)
(v) Three hours in a single-engine airplane with an authorized instructor in preparation for the practical test within the preceding 2 calendar months from the month of the test. (can this be done within the 10hrs of point ii above?)

(4) 10 hours of solo flight time in a single engine airplane or 10 hours of flight time performing the duties of pilot in command in a single engine airplane with an authorized instructor on board (either of which may be credited towards the flight time requirement under paragraph (2) of this section), on the areas of operation listed under §61.127(b)(1) that include— (does it count what I flew solo before the IR rating?)
(i) One cross-country flight of not less than 300 nautical miles total distance, with landings at a minimum of three points, one of which is a straight-line distance of at least 250 nautical miles from the original departure point. However, if this requirement is being met in Hawaii, the longest segment need only have a straight-line distance of at least 150 nautical miles (I guess this requirement implies all on the same day?); and
(ii) 5 hours in night VFR conditions with 10 takeoffs and 10 landings (with each landing involving a flight in the traffic pattern) at an airport with an operating control tower.

As per the AIM, it doesn’t matter at all when you have done those flights, nor does it matter what the registration of the aircraft was.

The only exception is the 3 hours of test prep, which has to be in the two months before the test. And yes, these three hours can be a part of the 10 hours of complex that you will do.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 11 Jan 15:13
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message