Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Plane crashes into Ferris Wheel

https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=kC4Ky_1552460494

I had not seen this before. What a mess….

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

To sue someone who is either part or victim of an accident: it’s probably not that bad if global warming accelerates the extinction of the human race.

Bremen (EDWQ), Germany

A shock load inspection and an NDT of the engine mounting frame? Most of us know a guy who will sign it off

I suppose Darwin’s theory of evolution (survival of the brightest, etc) didn’t extend to homo sapiens when in possession of a mobile phone

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

That’s unbelievable. Why? how is it possible to fly directly into that thing?

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Amazing that the Ferris wheel didn’t collapse!

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

@LeSving: It’s large, so it is not that difficult. No seriously, the ferris wheel might have been a bit close to the runway threshold.
Funny: everybody suing everybody

Last Edited by a_kraut at 13 Mar 17:52
Bremen (EDWQ), Germany
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Accident investigation report.

Interesting reading. There seems to be no end of errors, mistakes and poor judgement behind this accident. I’m sure lawyers had a field day.

The pilot had a sub-PPL “recreational license” and had received substandard training for the license – his flight school had cut corners. On a check flight after the accident it was found that he was not competent to be a licensed pilot even for the “recreational license”. He had a total time of 89 hours of which 29 hours as PIC. He attempted a landing with a tailwind because he used old information about wind direction and had to go around after touchdown. The aircraft was not airborne again until very shortly before the runway end.

The aircraft was uncertified and had poor cockpit ergonomics that distracted the pilot. The POH did not provide proper information on take-off/landing distances or techniques, nor on W&B calculations. The aircraft was found to be overweight.

The Ferris wheel was located ≈150 meters from the runway end and ≈25 m from the centreline. It penetrated the obstacle clearance surfaces of the airstrip. (Although, the airstrip being unlicensed, there was no legal requirement to have obstacle clearance surfaces free from obstacles.)

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
8 Posts
Sign in to add your message