Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Regaining TMG Class Rating

When I did my PPL I got SEP/TMG class ratings with it.
Over the years I only renewed the SEP.

According EASA FCL I could have renewed the SEP/TMG with either a proficiency check flight in a SEP or a TMG, correct? Probably the examiners didn’t know this and only entered the SEP in my license?

“FCL.740.A
(b) Revalidation of single-pilot single-engine class ratings.

(1) Single-engine piston aeroplane class ratings and TMG ratings. For revalidation of single-pilot single-engine piston aeroplane class ratings or TMG class ratings the applicant shall:

(i) within the 3 months preceding the expiry date of the rating, pass a proficiency check in the relevant class in accordance with Appendix 9 to this Part with an examiner; or

(ii) within the 12 months preceding the expiry date of the rating, complete 12 hours of flight time in the relevant class, including:

 6 hours as PIC,
 12 take-offs and 12 landings, and
 refresher training of at least 1 hour of total flight time with a flight instructor (FI) or a class rating instructor (CRI). Applicants shall be exempted from this refresher training if they have passed a class or type rating proficiency check, skill test or assessment of competence in any other class or type of aeroplane.

(2) When applicants hold both a single-engine piston aeroplane-land class rating and a TMG rating, they may complete the requirements of (1) in either class or a combination thereof, and achieve revalidation of both ratings.“

Anyway, I don’t have the TMG in my license anymore. To regain it I need either a DTO or ATO, a verbal theoretical test and a skill test?

“FCL.725 Requirements for the issue of class and type ratings

Regulation (EU) 2018/1974

(a) Training course. An applicant for a class or type rating shall complete a training course at an ATO. An applicant for a non-high-performance single-engine piston class rating, a TMG class rating or a single-engine type rating for helicopters referred to in point DTO.GEN.110(a)(2)(c) of Annex VIII (Part-DTO) may complete the training course at a DTO. The type rating training course shall include the mandatory training elements for the relevant type as defined in the operational suitability data established in accordance with Annex I (Part-21) to Commission Regulation (EU) No 748/2012.

b) Theoretical knowledge examination. The applicant for a class or type rating shall pass a theoretical knowledge examination organised by the ATO to demonstrate the level of theoretical knowledge required for the safe operation of the applicable aircraft class or type.

(3) For single-engine aircraft, the theoretical knowledge examination shall be conducted verbally by the examiner during the skill test to determine whether or not a satisfactory level of knowledge has been achieved.

Thanks for any clearing input!

always learning
LO__, Austria

Doing some training hours and then a PC should be enough. It would be good if you have any old license or something to prove to the flight school that you actually held that rating previously.

The school can decide how many hours you will need. Once you have it back you can renew it even though only flying SEP.

ESSZ, Sweden

Do you need a TMG rating when you have a PPL? IMO you can fly a TMG just fine with a PPL (only). It’s only to fly it like a glider you need SPL or TMG, or is this changed?

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Under FCL it has changed in motorgliders there is Self-Lanched and TMG, the fomer can be flown on PPL(S) only the latter can be flown on PPL(A) or PPL(S)

To fly TMG on a PPL(A-SEP) you need a class rating (same as Sea, Land, Multi….)

For Annex 1 TMG, you can fly on legacy/national papers

Last Edited by Ibra at 22 Mar 09:00
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Snoopy wrote:

… examiners … only entered the SEP in my license … I don’t have the TMG in my license anymore. To regain it I need either a DTO or ATO, a verbal theoretical test and a skill test?

The competent authority is prohibited by ARA.FCL.220 from issuing a licence with an expired rating. The examiner might have been unaware that you previously held a TMG. The revalidation rules will not apply in the case of expired ratings whether or not they are still included in the licence. See instead FCL.740 for renewal which Fly310 has summarised. The refresher training, if it is deemed necessary, may be taken at either an ATO or a DTO. It may also be taken with an instructor when the rating expired fewer than three years ago. As a reminder revalidation refers to actions taken in respect of a valid rating, and renewal to expired ones.

The TMG is established as its own class in the EASA type rating and licence endorsement list. https://www.easa.europa.eu/document-library/product-certification/typeratings-and-licence-endorsement-lists

Last Edited by Qalupalik at 22 Mar 09:13
London, United Kingdom

Thank you very much.
So I need a renewal of the TMG.
Once it is renewed, I can do the revalidation on either a TMG or SEP and both TMG SEP class ratings will be revalidated?

always learning
LO__, Austria

I come across a number of people who have lost TMG ratings as a result of both not being signed up during revalidation. There are a lot of urban myths and misconceptions with TMGs (most common is that it is differences training), not least because it is the only class that can be flown on two different categories of licence. Let me know if you need a TMG examiner and school in UK!

Now retired from forums best wishes

Thanks for the offer, no extended UK stays planned for the time being :(

always learning
LO__, Austria

I have been keeping my TMG class rating valid by having it signed off at the same time as my SEP revalidations. Once my SEP expired once by just one day, the cross-referencing did not work anymore and the TMG class rating could not be extended along with now SEP renewal instead of revalidation, so I had to do an hour of TMG training and the check ride to get it back on my license.

EDLE, Netherlands

Thanks – will do the checkride to get the TMG rating back.

always learning
LO__, Austria
15 Posts
Sign in to add your message