Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

New medical after achilles tendon surgery

I’ve had an achilles tendon surgery in January this year, I’ve removed the cast about a month ago and crutches 2 weeks ago. As far as the injury goes, I still have a slight limp while I walk, but flexibility and strength of my foot is almost normal, although I can not strain it for longer periods of time as my healthy foot.

In terms of my ability to fly, I feel comfortable flying, I had a flight with an instructor, and while I had a bit of fatigue in my injured leg I was ok, however I have heard that without a new medical I can not legally fly? I know only that I am forbidden to fly 48 hours after general anesthetics, and should submit to a medical if I feel to be unfit, but I have not read anywhere that I am legally obliged to do so. What do you guys think?

Belgrade LYBE, Serbia

Consult your AME, and he can consult the Medical Dept. of your CAA.
If you have a record that your AME approved flying, you’re OK.
I’d be surprised if you needed a full, new, medical, but also surprised if you weren’t required to consult your AME.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

I did it differently. The Canadian regulation wording in this regard is: “…. if you are impaired by injury… you must have a medical”. I know I was injured, but did that injury impair me? The regulation did not say how impairment was determined. So, I flew with an instructor for the purpose of his evaluating me, having declared my injuries to him. If flew the plane fine, and he wrote me a nice checkout letter. Then, to be certain, I flew with a second instructor in the helicopter for two hours, and he too said I was not impaired. He also wrote me a very nice letter. With the two letters on file, and my medical still in its validity period, I went flying for the summer, though only in the planes I own, just in case someone else’s insurance company did not see it my way. I went for my medical upon my renewal date in the fall, the first since my recovery from accident, and though surprised at the list of broken bones, and pieces of metal now holding them together, the doctor signed off my cat 1 medical with no hesitation. She told me that the medical examiner at Transport Canada might inquire more. Five months later, he did. I provided the reports he asked for, and the check out letters. He asked if I’d returned to flying, then checked himself, as he held the checkout letters, as I replied yes. Then I explained my actions, and interpretation of the wording of the regulation. He winced a little, saying that’s not entirely how it was intended to be interpreted, but he understood my logic. Ultimately, all seems fine.

For what sounds like much less invasive medical treatment which you report (than I compare myself to), I would not worry about checking with your doctor.

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada

I think the right way to do this is to establish the exact rules in your jurisdiction for notification requirements, and advise the AME IF you are required to.

In FAA-land these are relatively clearly written; they are called self grounding conditions. There are IIRC about 20 of these.

In EASA-land the entire Part-MED is de facto one huge long list of self grounding conditions It is written to catch anything and everything. Also remember that the EASA AME is not working for you; he is working for his CAA, 100%. Officially, there is no such thing as an “off the record” conversation (I have been told this by two AMEs). If anything gets “difficult” the AME will throw you to the lions.

I am not an AME of course but I think you probably are required to notify this even if you self grounded during the period of recovery, but if you have a friendly AME contact you can investigate the situation before you do so. You will definitely need to declare it at your next medical.

There are EASA AMEs on EuroGA but whether they will post I don’t know

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I will definitely contact an AME to ask for clarification. Thanks for help!

Belgrade LYBE, Serbia
5 Posts
Sign in to add your message