Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Fuel efficiency in cruise

I'm late in finding this interesting thread by you posh flyer types, so FWIW !

Rans S4, one seat, Rotax 447 twin 2-stroke 0.35 litres per nautical mile at 42 kts.(29 mpg) Figures from last Monday, Jackrell's Farm to Sandown, Isle of Wight, return, ~ one hr each way.

The Rans S6 has about the same mpg consumption but at 75 kt, bit quicker & in theory can carry a second person. But WTH, I nearly always fly it solo.

mike hallam.

TB10

119kts KTAS at FL85

33.9 litres per hour (leaned to peak EGT) = 0.28 nm per litre

EGLM & EGTN

Don't forget that one liter of Jet A-1 contains considerably more energy than one liter of Avgas so your SFC isn't just 50% worse than ours

How do you figure that? Avgas has a higher calorific value than kerosene....ca. 48,000 kJ/kg vs ca. 46,000

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

How do you figure that?

Jet-A1 is about 12% heavier than Avgas by volume. Leave Achim his little SFC victory - it is the only straw he has left in his fuel efficiency argument!

EGTK Oxford

How do you figure that? Avgas has a higher calorific value than kerosene....ca. 48,000 kJ/kg vs ca. 46,000

I said "liter" because both fuel tanks and gas stations operate by volume. 1l of Jet A-1 has a mass of 0.81kg whereas 1l of Avgas has a mass of 0.72kg. That is 12.5% more mass at the same volume versus a 4% lower calorific value, therefore my statement about "considerably more energy per liter".

DA42: 155 KTAS at FL110, FF 41 litres/hr: 0.26 nm/l Diesel or Jet fuel. Achim is right on calorific value I suppose, but I look at monetary value: Avgas 3 euro/l, Jet about 1.5 euro/l. :)

And of course let us mention the environmental footprint of you lead spewing Avgas polluters!!

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Oops, I meant l/nm instead of nm/l of course

And of course let us mention the environmental footprint of you lead spewing Avgas polluters!!

Exactly. Shame on you all...

EGTK Oxford

Jason, it looks like it is up to you and me and a few other decent people on this forum to save this planet..

Burning unleaded MoGas, I feel I could join that club.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium
Sign in to add your message