Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Fuel efficiency in cruise

loco wrote:

I remember it was 20 liters per hour with 115kt cruise on average. Thielert 2.0. That’s what I used in planning after a few hundred hours in it.

I do confirm, 5,1USG/H @70% for 115kias, but there may be differences between models. I flies 3 of them, one can do consistently 115+, other are around 110~112. Actually the G1000 ones have a 40kg penalty on the nose, reducing overall performance. The VFR ones with 6-pack usually fly faster.

LFMD, France

RobertL18C wrote:

and the Super Cub at .12

If you are looking at the Super Cub on MPG then you are looking at it the wrong way, “drag is good” (something along with (fuel) “greed is good”), obviously, when I took it on 500nm, the fuel bill did come a bit steep but I am more concerned about the remaining pages in my logbook !

Last Edited by Ibra at 27 Jul 09:28
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Isn’t it rather pointless comparing a Super Cub with less capable aircraft like a PA28 or Boeing 788?

A Super Cub can land more or less anywhere so (regulation permitting) it takes you from where you are to where you want to be.

Most other aeroplanes merely take you from airport to airport – i.e. in most cases from where you are not to where you don’t want to stay.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

I was actually being kind an Alaskan Bush Super Cub is probably closer to .2 :)

The .12 is for a 90HP econo SC

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Snoopy wrote:

Boeing 788
0,034 L/NM/Seat

Oooooo!! Interesting.. is that your cruise fuel, or does it include climb/decent/hold?
How did you get to the Litre/Mile/seat number? Still air numbers etc?

I just worked it out for the Robin and its 0.058ltr/nm/seat based on the averages I posted above.

I recall last year being on a KLM 737 flight where the Captain said how much fuel they were using for the trip to AMS and with SD in hand for fun sat and worked it out based on the number of pax aboard and worked out that the Robin was the pretty much the same on a consumption/pax equation for that trip…
I remember being REALLY surprised.

Regards, SD..

The husky on 31’s comes out at 0.33 l/nm or 0.17 l/nm/seat . However that’s not really the reason to own an aircraft for me.

RobertL18C wrote:

I was actually being kind an Alaskan Bush Super Cub is probably closer to .2 :)

The .12 is for a 90HP econo SC

This is he wrong measure entirely for bush planes. The appropriate metric is landings per gallon!

In my 1941 Piper Cub, operating at my home strip, I can easily do 15 takeoffs and landings per gallon. I defy any of you to beat that in your Warriors and TB20s.

For the same quantity of fuel JasonC uses to taxi and hold for departure I bet I could do 150 circuits.

Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom

@skydriller
It’s a ballpark number. Just roughly 5000-6000 L per hour at 290 seats.

Last Edited by Snoopy at 27 Jul 15:34
always learning
LO__, Austria
Sign in to add your message