Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Take off in the dark...

Peter wrote:

Obviously you need enough light to see the runway ahead of you.

All one really needs is a cloudless sky and a full moon, like tomorrow ….. oh, sorry, that never happens in the UK.
After about 15 minutes outside in the dark, one doesn’t even need a lamp to read a book.

LSZK, Switzerland

tmo wrote:

FWIW landing on a runway with the light intentionally off was part of my night-VFR course / checkride

The runway light or landing light? Landing without a landing light at night is sometimes almost easier than with it on, and that was also part of my night training. But without runway lights, the environmental conditions play a huge role.

LSZK, Switzerland

chflyer wrote:

The runway light or landing light

Both, actually. But yes, it was a clear night, not full moon, but not pitch black either.

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

That is interesting. I would also like to practice that, both for myself and my students. However, I would never dare to do it. If something happens I do not think the insurance company is impressed.

ESSZ, Sweden

Jacko wrote:

I think huv is quoting the GM and AMC which is not law.

You are right, of course, that it is AMC1 to NCO.OP.110. My mistake.
However, AMC is still law, it is just not EU-reg., but EASA regulation still to be observed, unless there is an AltMOC. It is not “guidance” – only GM material is.

Airborne_Again wrote:

Additionally, part-NCO is unusual compared to other EASA regulations in that you can determine your own AMCs without having them approved.

Yes there is this NCO.GEN.101 speciality giving the operator some options, but you have to actually produce your own AltMoC (alternate means of compliance) to replace any AMC. Whether you have to submit it, to your authority or to EASA is not clear to me, but I definitely do not think that you can just ignore an AMC to Part-NCO at random.

In the end I agree it should be possible to land at an unlit airstrip on a Part-NCO flight without breaking the rules, if you write an AltMoC that overrules AMC1 NCO.OP.110.

Last Edited by huv at 01 Jun 14:00
huv
EKRK, Denmark

@huv wrote:

Yes, but Part-NCO has exactly the same text in NCO.OP.110(b)(2) “…for night operation, ground lights should be available to illuminate the runway”.

I can’t find this anywhere in NCO.OP.110

Am I blind?

Last Edited by Dimme at 06 Apr 13:47
ESME, ESMS

Dimme wrote:

I can’t find this anywhere in NCO.OP.110

Am I blind?

AMC1 NCO.OP.110 (b) (2)

EGTR

Thanks, there must be some special character in there because copypasting the text cannot find in my viewer.

ESME, ESMS

huv
EKRK, Denmark

I remember seeing a specific requirement for a lighted windcone… Am I imagining things?

Last Edited by Cttime at 06 Apr 17:21
Sweden
Sign in to add your message