Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Fuel icing and precautions

Yes; I add 1 litre IPA to my two tanks (86USG total) where water-contaminated fuel is suspected (some places S of the Alps).

Best thing by far is keep the fuel cap seals in perfect condition. Very few people do this. I once drained about a litre out of a PA38

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Isn’t IPA also hygroscopic, just like the ethanol content of car fuel? Fresh out of the tightly closed bottle, it probably won’t make a difference if you use it up right away and the amount apperars to be small – but if you leave the tank half full in a humid environment after your flight? Probably still low, but more than without.

I was under the assumption you would want to avoid water in the fuel under all circumstances.

Last Edited by Inkognito at 10 Mar 07:28
Berlin, Germany

Bobo wrote:

Digging up this old thread as I want to take a TAE 125 engined cessna 172 up to FL180, just to see the curvature of the earth It’s filled up with diesel mostly and with that comes a temp limit. Before take-off the fuel needs to be above freezing and in flight the fuel must nog cool down below -5C. I was wondering how fast the temps drop in a fueltank at say -20C OAT. I could fill up with JetA but the handbook says if more than 10% of the fuel is diesel then these minimums apply.

Just a follow up. From own experience now, I can say that fuel in the wing of a C172 cools down fairly quick. Took off with wil full tanks at +5C and two hours later at FL095 with OAT -8C the right tank dropped below freezing. Fair to say that I was using the left tank for balance, so the right tank was not being fed warm fuel from the fuelpump. The fuel warmed up again slowly when switching to both tanks. So heading up higher with lower temps will result in (too) low fueltemps rather quickly.

EHTE, Netherlands

On the ground cd155 diesel limit is > 0°C.
In flight limit is > -5°C. During flight the fuel is heated, so it’s usually not a factor.

At OAT -20 or lower you can note very low fuel temperatures. Moreover, using diesel in auxiliary tanks in DA42/62 is not permitted. In simple words, using diesel cripples these aircrafts.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Good question Maoraigh. Interested in clearing that point too

Emir wrote:

I don’t understand using diesel in CD or AE engines. Jet A1 is cheaper, wider available at the airports and more suitable for aviation use.

Flew today in a CD155 equipped plane. Operator has own diesel tank as it’s cheaper than air bp jet fuel.

On the ground cd155 diesel limit is > 0°C.
In flight limit is > -5°C.

During flight the fuel is heated, so it’s usually not a factor.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Thread drift: is ISP safe for tank sealing? Local car fuel now has alcohol content of 10% Unleaded and h ​5% Super. I’m told it can cause tank leaks.
I’m using Avgas for that reason, in an O200.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Sebastian_G wrote:

Depends on the country. In Germany mineral oil tax on Jet A1 is much higher than on Diesel. Then in small volumes it is much easier to buy Diesel so at small airfield JetA1 is 0,50 EUR more expensive than car Diesel.

I understand – Diesel in Croatia is around €1.50 while Jet A1 is around €1.10. Checking latest fuel prices, I see that here in Croatia currently diesel is more expensive than in Germany.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Emir wrote:

I don’t understand using diesel in CD or AE engines. Jet A1 is cheaper, wider available at the airports and more suitable for aviation use.

Depends on the country. In Germany mineral oil tax on Jet A1 is much higher than on Diesel. Then in small volumes it is much easier to buy Diesel so at small airfield JetA1 is 0,50 EUR more expensive than car Diesel.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Thanks for your input all! Our club has a bowser with Diesel, hence the question.

EHTE, Netherlands
82 Posts
Sign in to add your message