Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

License / rating expiry

It would be good to have a dedicated thread on this topic, because it comes up often.

I’ve been talking to a pilot today who may leave Europe and was wondering how much of his European papers will be permanently lost, in the sense of having to re-do the exams. AFAIK -

UK NPPL – never expires but needs the class rating renewed with a test flight
UK IMCR / IR(R) – as above
EASA LAPL – as above
EASA PPL – as above
EASA CPL – ???
EASA IR – exams expire after 7 years but this is extended indefinitely if you have been flying with a valid ICAO (e.g. FAA) IR
EASA FI – the FI is country specific I think
EASA FE – likewise
Mountain rating – ??

Is the above correct? Please add info on the others.

Various previous threads e.g. here but there have been recent changes on the IR expiry, where ATO “retraining” will be formally avoided by EASA FCL if you hold an ICAO IR.

I left out the EASA ATPL because the only way to get that is to get a CPL/IR (a so-called “frozen ATPL”) and then log 500hrs in a multi pilot cockpit, so this is not applicable to GA (other than AOC bizjet ops I guess).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I think my UK PPL is now completely lost. I’ve not had a revalidation in 10 years, not renewed the license in over 7 years etc. Gone, right?

The major thing to remember is the difference between a licence and ratings. EASA has made one major change there to the former national use, which is maybe the greatest thing they ever did particularly for GA. I know that I would not be flying anymore if it had not been for that change.

Licenses as a rule never expire. They are regarded like a diploma, masters or whatever, you earn them and they are yours.
Ratings do expire however. That is why e.g. the IR expires as opposed to a PPL. Or a SEP. But in most cases, to regain a rating is feasible without too much hassle, the IR being the exception if it lapses for more than 7 years.

AdamFrisch wrote:

I think my UK PPL is now completely lost. I’ve not had a revalidation in 10 years, not renewed the license in over 7 years etc.

Is it issued as an EASA PPL? In which case it is valid, all you need to do is to renew the class rating. And if you have held an European IR and your US one was valid all the time, you can revalidate that one quite easily as well.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

As @Mooney_Driver said, EASA licenses are for life. This is definitely valid for PPL and CPL and I think for ATPL. However, ratings expire, including SEP, MEP, type ratings and IR. There are also some elements that you have to do once and never expire (night, aerobatics, probably MCC, ditching if you are going for ATPL, etc.). I am not sure about the IR entry (not the one for a specific rating but the general one, which is a separate entry) which is probably the one which lapses after 7 years of no IR on any rating:

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

Can we throw instructor and examiner ratings in the pot as well?

It would be great to have one definitive list.

[ done ]

EGKB Biggin Hill

Mooney_Driver wrote:

Is it issued as an EASA PPL? In which case it is valid, all you need to do is to renew the class rating. And if you have held an European IR and your US one was valid all the time, you can revalidate that one quite easily as well.

No, it’s a CAA license issued 28/05/2010. Just checked the SEP class rating and that expired 30/09/2013. Screwed?

Just checked the latest edition of Easy Access Rules for Flight Crew Licencing (March 2019).

IR = 1 year (FCL.625 IR)
EIR = 1 year (FCL.825(g))
Class and type ratings = 1 year (SEP, TMG = 2 years) (FCL.740)
Aerobatic, night, flight test ratings = no validity specified
Towing rating = indefinitely, but 24-month currency required (FCL.805(e))
Sailplaine cloud rating = indefinitely, but 24-month currency required (FCL.830(d))
Mountain rating = 2 years (FCL.815(d))
HPA certificate = indefinitely (AMC1 FCL.720.A(b)(2)(i) (e))
Instructors = 3 years (FCL.940)
Examiners = 3 years (FCL.1025)

Importantly, the validity of ATPL theory exams for 7 years after expiration of IR only applies to the issue of ATPL (that is, when one already has a CPL). When ATPL theory exams are used for IR and CPL, you should obtain both IR and CPL within 3 years (FCL.025(c)).

Last Edited by Ultranomad at 21 Apr 00:13
LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

AdamFrisch wrote:

No, it’s a CAA license issued 28/05/2010. Just checked the SEP class rating and that expired 30/09/2013. Screwed

Not necessarily.

I’d contact the licensing department of the CAA to find out what the options are. In 2010 it should already have been an EASA or at least JAR compatible license.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Adam

As the licence has expired then it’s training as required plus test to renew the SEP rating. Then post the lot off to the CAA who will issue you a new licence that’s valid for life with a current SEP rating on it. Then your good to go.

I’d contact the licensing department of the CAA to find out what the options are.

That would be a total waste of time, you will either get no answer or be referred to an ATO or DTO whose job it is to answer the wquestion.

CAA license issued 28/05/2010. Just checked the SEP class rating and that expired 30/09/2013.

Go to an ATO or DTO renew the SEP Class rating and then apply for either a new lifetime UK PPL or EASA PPL or both using SRG1104. You will need a valid Class II medical for the licence issue.

19 Posts
Sign in to add your message