Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ATC adverse weather avoidance assistance

LFHNflightstudent wrote:

Does anyone have any idea who is running a test?

Are you sure you didn’t get it via 4G network on iPad and then have it transferred to IDF440 (I don’t know what kind of setup you have and if something like this is possible)? I pick up very often 4G network in that area even at higher altitudes, sometimes up to FL180.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Emir wrote:

I pick up very often 4G network in that area even at higher altitudes, sometimes up to FL180.

More from a lucky catch than something reliable, was that while doing some holds? (on a specific position with only one phone mast in 100nm?)

I think for those rare phone data signals will be hard to rely on or reproduce (they are actually viewed as defects on phone antennas…)

Last Edited by Ibra at 23 Apr 13:27
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I wonder if the “market” for ATC weather is very limited in Europe.

The private IFR community is very small, and I would think most of those who do it, and do it in any real wx rather than just short legs on nice days, a lot already have a Golze ADL box. Or maybe one of the installed boxes from Garmin or Avidyne. Avidyne have now abandoned theirs (MLX770) but they did sell a fair number over the years, when – as with the TAS6xx boxes – they were the only game in town.

All the “slightly higher up” people, e.g. TBM, King Air, etc, have on board radar.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Timothy wrote:

Garmin were running a site at AERO Friedrichshafen. Might it have been that?

Potentially yes, I really don’t know. Picked it up on the IDF440 (Avydine) which is not a Garmin product – but if they were “radiating” ADSB it’s very possible that it was that. I do not connect the IDF to any other network so 4G etc. out of the question…

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

Emir wrote:

Are you sure you didn’t get it via 4G network on iPad and then have it transferred to IDF440 (I don’t know what kind of setup you have and if something like this is possible)? I pick up very often 4G network in that area even at higher altitudes, sometimes up to FL180.

I run the Golze product on the IPAD and haven’t connected the iPad to the IDF (no need really) so I think the Friedrichshaffen explanation probably most likely…

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

AFAIK, the French controllers (FIS, IFR radar, all of them) don’t, as a rule, have any weather view or information (except METARs and TAFs).

ELLX

I was talking to Lakenheath today (in pretty shit conditions, it must be said) and they were giving me weather information (welcome, though unasked for.) The report they gave was “moderate to extreme precipitation between your 10 o’clock and 1 o’clock for the next 12 miles.

I could see on Golze what they meant, and already had things under control, but it’s good to know that they’ll pass that information proactively if they think it necessary.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Timothy wrote:

The report they gave was “moderate to extreme precipitation between your 10 o’clock and 1 o’clock for the next 12 miles.”

Today looks we had some “heavy steel rain” around, enough to show up on a primary radar, so I assume you were on “weather de-confliction service”

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message