Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Questions and answers with ATC

Probably under their inability to provide procedural service.

And why is that required?

EGKB Biggin Hill

Simple. In Class G and F, anyone can fly their “operator specific / personal / ad-hoc” “procedures” and descend below MSA as necessary for landing (if under part NCO, that is).

Which, @Timothy, is probably the point you want to make.

But for that you need to leave Class E airspace first. And the band of airspace below the MRVA and down to the lower level of Class E airspace (1,000ft AGL in the Czech republic) requires an IFR clearance to IFR in.

Since ATC does not provide a clearance, this effectively “IFR prohibited” airspace. They cannot offer a radar service below the MRVA (by definition), so to provide a clearance they would have to offer “procedural separation” (which could be ultra-easy, for example, they could simply only permit one aircraft in that band per sector; that would do the trick).

Until somebody successfully challenges the existence of this “IFR prohibited” airspace, either by getting it reclassified to class G below the MRVA, or by forcing ATC to provide a service, pilots will do what they have always done – lie and penetrate this band “VFR”.

Last Edited by Cobalt at 21 Apr 17:32
Biggin Hill

Cobalt wrote:

Since ATC does not provide a clearance, this effectively “IFR prohibited” airspace. They cannot offer a radar service below the MRVA (by definition), so to provide a clearance they would have to offer “procedural separation” (which could be ultra-easy, for example, they could simply only permit one aircraft in that band per sector; that would do the trick).

It is actually worse than that. According to PANS-ATM (ICAO doc. 4444), ATC is not allowed to clear you below the MRVA unless you are on a published route.

I’ve been bit by this at my home (uncontrolled) airfield. There is radar coverage essentially to ground level and the MRVA is 1500 ft. Even though I can define my own route to the airfield with a MSA (according to enroute critera) of less than 1300 ft, ATC refuses to clear me lower than 1500 as my own route is not a published one…

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 21 Apr 17:52
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

There are lots of NO CODE. According to AIP Norway

IFR: code 2000
VFR: code 7000
Gliders: code 7100
Unmanned aircraft: code 7200
Helicopter ambulance flights: code 5200
Helicopter police service: code 5300

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Cobalt wrote:

lie

The law of unintended consequence

EGKB Biggin Hill

In Croatia 2000 is VFR.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I have never heard of this 2000 code thing. Not in the PPL nor in the CBIR syllabus.
Airborne_Again wrote:

Sweden. 2000: Not mentioned
Oh, well that explains that.
ESMK, Sweden

At ELLX, since installation of ground radar, we are supposed to:

• set 2000 before shutdown, after blocks on
  • keep 2000 until we get another code with our clearance, and in particular between startup and clearance, and when taxiing without a clearance (such as on the aprons). The latter, typically for light GA is taxiing from the hangar to the fuel pump.

In practice, VFR traffic just keeps 7000.

ELLX
18 Posts
Sign in to add your message