Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Clueless ATCO with München Radar

Today we had one more RTF conversation with München Radar that is unbelievable. There was a forecast about embedded CBs. We were just handed over by Vienna and were on an avoidance heading at FL200. The Munich ATCO sent us back towards the clouds. We requested 20 degrees to the right. The ATCO asked for the the exact position of the CB. We replied that we’re not radar equipped and have to stay out of the clouds. He asked if we are IFR licensed. Affirm. Then he asked if we speak German. Affirm. He said to us in German, that it makes life form him very hard if we have to avoid every CB all the way to Mannheim. We replied that we need avoid anyway. He gave in and handed us over shortly after.
I ask my self what is this guy doing for a day job?

@Terbang it must have been the same guy I got here. Most people missed that thread because it was yet another trip report…

Completely out of order…

Sadly the video doesn’t have ATC sound track on it. The combination of the video and the audio would have been quite amazing. I put a comment in that video at around the right location. He was the last Munich frequency before the handover to Vienna so that probably narrows it right down. Everybody in his office will know exactly who it is.

IMHO, phoning the guy, or the unit, apart from being difficult due to numbers not published, will achieve nothing because he knows what he is doing and won’t change, and if you call the unit they will close ranks.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

IMHO, phoning the guy, or the unit, apart from being difficult due to numbers not published, will achieve nothing because he knows what he is doing and won’t change, and if you call the unit they will close ranks.

I like your optimism there!

I think the minimum one should do is file a mandatory occurrence report, which is better than doing nothing at all.

More details here: https://www.skybrary.aero/index.php/Mandatory_Occurrence_Reporting

Last Edited by James_Chan at 25 Aug 07:37

I like your optimism there!

You can always depend on it

The problem is same in any large organisation. Probably 99% of ATCOs (in N Europe at least) are completely professional. This is way above the “corporate standard”. But if there is a bad one, then clearly nobody is doing anything about him, presumably because they can’t, or don’t want to, or it’s too expensive to do it so management doesn’t want to tackle it. It is certain that all his colleagues know all about it.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Maybe a report from someone like you is just what they are waiting for so they have an excuse to take action?

Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom
34 Posts
Sign in to add your message