Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

DA62 G-MDME calibration flight down - Dubai

Sad news indeed.

I think the report will make for very interesting reading, a modern, well equipped twin should have a lot going for it.

Another post by Dave might be relevant, although I would be amazed if they were going slowly enough during an ILS calibration. Another suggestion has been wingtip vortices drifting over from the parallel runway which was apparently active throughout, but this also seems unlikely since the traffic there would have been on the same glideslope angle and the vortices drift downwards at some 300fpm.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Not necessarily – during calibration you do a run below the GS and also one at 1000 ft (if I remember the number correctly).

A wake from 777/380 hitting a da62 is like a wooden board hitting a mosquito.

always learning
LO__, Austria

For me this post seems relevant.
Able to go 200 kts on the approach. All it would take is a reduction in distance being unnoticed.
These pilots needed 9000 ft to recover from A380’s wake.
Probably everyone has seen

Last Edited by loco at 19 May 18:22
LPFR, Poland

Would Dave (or whoever the pilot was) not have known about this risk?

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Would Dave (or whoever the pilot was) not have known about this risk?

Yes but potentially they were on aware of such traffic. You can’t be sure that ATC specifically warned them and it’s not easy for pilot to follow the traffic around him approaching such busy airport and distinguish which one is near by and potentially dangerous. If wake turbulence was cause of the accident, I believe investigation will find it out.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Really sad to hear for DP, any idea what type of flying those “calibration flights” involve?

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Worth a look at the links above.

Administrator

Emir wrote:

I believe investigation will find it out.

What do we know about the independence of the UAE aviation and transport authorities?

My understanding of the UAE is that you toe the party (royal family) line in word, thought and deed or disappear into an unaccountable criminal justice system.

That may not be the ideal environment for an unbiased investigation.

EGKB Biggin Hill
Sign in to add your message