Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

DA62 G-MDME calibration flight down - Dubai

I read somewhere that the parallel runways are offset, with the one the 350 landed on quite well forward of the one the DA62 was on, so maybe explains how the 350 possibly descended through the DA62s level ahead of it thus putting it into the wake path.

Wycombe, White Waltham, Fairoaks, United Kingdom

How far back from the runway would the DA62 have been, on the GS, at 1100ft?

During calibration of the GS you do a clearance run at a constant altitude of 1000ft. So in that case you can‘t
conclude the distance from the height or altitude.

I was told that flaps are raising wake turbulence down as the “lent lourd lisse” french mantra for the highest wake effect (= slow heavy and clean) . Aren’t flaps reducing AoA and then reduce it? They are producing new ones closer to the centerline.

LFMD, France

IIRC worst wakes is clean and heavy high AOA. But these new wing designs are a category of their own.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Peter wrote:

BEA investigation
According to video evidence, the DA62 was brought down by wake turbulence from an A350 landing on a parallel runway.

I’ve read on the other forum that link at BEA https://www.bea.aero/en/investigation-reports/notified-events/detail/event/accident-to-the-airbus-a350-registered-hs-thk-and-operated-by-thai-airways-and-to-the-diamond-da62-r/ which @Peter posted earlier in this thread, somehow disappeared. Does anybody know why?

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I posted almost the whole contents though… A bit late to remove it now.

Does Airbus have an incentive to have a lower wake separation category?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Lower wake separation → you get more capacity at an airport. Airports will appreciate the extra capacity, so I imagine incentives drip down to the manufacturer.

Peter wrote:

Does Airbus have an incentive to have a lower wake separation category?

The main incentives for aerodynamics design are fuel/load/speed which feed direct into “pence per seat per mile” (CASM metric0, which is by far what airliners (or pax) look at

Reducing other externality like engine noise, CO2 print, wake and mtow…. are nice to have but the cost/benefit is taken by airports/airliners (even R&D on these topics get delegated to other organizations…), so I think small wake is more an airport/airliners decision but a manufacturer like Airbus/Beoing will have all sort of aircraft to sell you on that

Concord noise/runway length is a nice example (tough CASM was not very great neither)

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I don’t think the names of the four people have been released yet but three of them, apparently being employees or contractors of the company, are David Phillips, William Blackburn and Christopher Stone, as per the company’s website which points to here.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Donated.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia
Sign in to add your message