Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Online Weather WX Radar Sources

How about rainviewer.com?

EDLE, Netherlands

Michael_J wrote:

http://www.radareu.cz/

This site covers a little bit more than ADL (Monte Negro, Greece, Romania and Belarus).

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Peter wrote:

aera 660 has weather radar via internet / WIFI

Is there any website it can connect to which does European wx?

No, not a web site, so not really an answer to the original question. But it does show eu weather on the device itself.

EBTN, EBST, Belgium

How does one set this up?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Michael_J wrote:

http://www.radareu.cz/

Nice!

AeroPlus wrote:

How about rainviewer.com?

Great, didn’t know this one! Thanks!

always learning
LO__, Austria

Peter wrote:

How does one set this up?

I’m not sure, i think it became automatically available after firmware update. I discovered it by accident, but I guess it must have been announced. There is a weather button in the main menu page that shows europe map with weather. Or in the main map → menu there is a weather / animate weather option to overlay weather on the map.

i just checked the new manual, apparently it’s also mentioned there, on page 115. it wasn’t in the manual 3 months ago.

EBTN, EBST, Belgium

I always fail to understand why rainfall radar data is usually delayed? Surely if you are sitting in Exeter, you’ll see the rain live? The benefits of linking that data via ADSB or Satellite to aircraft would be beautiful.

After I landed from Southampton there was a risk of some embedded CBs, mostly a PROB30 north of the M4, but a PROB40 further South. I wanted to get back to London so as I was at the hold doing my power checks, I quickly checked the metoffice app (rainfall radar) and it showed a cell or two north of Shoreham on my departure route. Southampton was IFR and wouldn’t allow a VFR departure so I elected to fly Northbound IMC, then track north of London in between layers so I could see any potential cells. Thankfully it wasn’t convective.

Even if the data is 1 minute delayed due to bandwidth, it would be so ideal. I doubt a CB in the UK could grow rapidly in a minute or two, although I stand to be corrected.

Qualified PPL with IR SP/SE PBN
EGSG, United Kingdom

I have a DWD Flugwetter subscription and use the android app that comes with it all the time, mostly for non-aviation related stuff.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

I always fail to understand why rainfall radar data is usually delayed? Surely if you are sitting in Exeter, you’ll see the rain live? The benefits of linking that data via ADSB or Satellite to aircraft would be beautiful.

The official answer is that it takes time to process the data. Of course that is bull. The real answer is that they sell differently delayed data for different prices – same as happens with share prices, car satnav databases, you name it…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

The official answer is that it takes time to process the data. Of course that is bull.

Depends on the delay. Rapid Radars can do 5 Minute Imaging I believe, but normal is 10. So the delay of 10 minutes is usually caused by processing indeed, as normal Images are usually used for such sites, as they cover larger Areas. Some older installations can take longer and if their data is used in Composite Images, then the consequence is that the whole Image can only be produced once all data are in. That is why some Images only get updated every 15 or even 30 minutes.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland
Sign in to add your message