Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

FAA ground Citations with active winglets

US AOPA article

I wonder if this is yet another fallout from the B737 trim business… a large-scale re-examination of systems which have a software component which has no obvious override and which can kill somebody.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I’m thinking of one of our member that have installed the active winglets in it’s CJ…
Hope they will find a solution quickly !

LFPT Pontoise, LFPB

Clever idea

I guess the word “disruptive” is currently fashionable:

Administrator

@jasonc
Hope this gets resolved soon!

always learning
LO__, Austria

Does JasonC have this on his CJ3?

Yes. There is much more to this story. It was triggered by a European pilot flying out of Bournemouth. The following response from Tamarack explains it more.

Last Edited by JasonC at 25 May 14:13
EGTK Oxford

Peter wrote:

I wonder if this is yet another fallout from the B737 trim business…

I doubt the comparison is valid, it seems the active winglet don’t interact with any flight control, especially down/up pitch….

Total malfunctions can lead to increase in fuel/reduced range (+10%?) where an asymmetric malfunction once settled should be similar to asymmetric flaps, slats, airbreaks? (asymmetric engines? fuel tank?) and can be dealt with in similar fashion as getting your foot stuck in the rudder

I think as they sit far on the wings it make them prone to “roll stability issues” (as you need ailerons+speed to counter them but speed may increases their asymmetry, so a pilot may need to be quick with ailerons and moderate with speed) but how that is different from LoC from a sudden gust/turbulence on one wing at slow speeds?

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Angie‘s plane did some funny roll stuff, w/o active winglets, but in contrary with some „active“ flight controls. Global5000 that nearly crashed. Ibra wrote:

I doubt the comparison is valid
Looks like the manufacturer designed/integrated features are what’s really to watch out for.
always learning
LO__, Austria

Yes it is a new thing that one need to watch out for especially as they work in the background (probably they are not even in checklist while flying?) but I just don’t see how that is different to a locked surfaces on one wing for an attentive pilot (if you are an AP guy you may need pax to tell you that wing surfaces are mulfunctioning, sometimes to tell you that engines are on fire or no longer there :) )

Last Edited by Ibra at 26 May 09:35
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Tamarack reported as having gone bust

Sandpoint, Idaho-based Tamarack Aerospace announced June 7 that it voluntarily filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection earlier in the month, a decision the company termed “a direct result” of recent Airworthiness Directives from the FAA and European Union Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) that have “effectively grounded” Cessna CitationJets, CJ1s, CJ2s, and CJ3s equipped with its active load-alleviation system (Atlas) winglets.

Where does that leave existing installations?

Administrator
37 Posts
Sign in to add your message