Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cirrus - no pitch trim wheel?

I have just heard this. Never noticed it during my (few) flights a long time ago.

How do you trim an SR22 if you get a loss of electrics?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

You don’t. You manually overpower the wrong trim and land asap.

Switzerland

“Loss of electrics” is a bit vague.
If you lose Alt1, Bat1 will still power the main distribution bus (which the trim sits on).
If you also lose Bat1, then you have to overpower any out-of-trim manually. (Bat2 can’t power the main distribution bus.)

This is for the Avidyne ones. Don’t think the Garmin ones are any different.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 29 May 17:20
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Peter wrote:

How do you trim an SR22 if you get a loss of electrics?

Did not recall, does an SR22 has aerodynamic trim or spring loaded?
The latter is probably easier “to fight in-flight”

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Spring loaded

Switzerland

What was the thinking behind removing the trim wheel?

Presumably there is just one trim motor. Is it the motor in the autopilot servo?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

How many people on here have lost electric trim in flight? While I like having one, I doubt its absence is a serious problem.

EGTK Oxford

All SR22s have both trim motor and autopilot servos, only some early SR20s lack servos.

EETN

With a complete electrical failure, you have no trim ability. So you have 2 alternators and 2 batteries, but an electrical failure can happen or can be pilot induced (smoke in the cockpit – turning everything electrical off).

EDLE, Netherlands

JasonC wrote:

How many people on here have lost electric trim in flight? While I like having one, I doubt its absence is a serious problem.

Do you think that remains true if you have no other way of trimming?

Incidentally, I loathe the trimming system in the Cirrus, and it would be a major reason I would never buy one.

EGKB Biggin Hill
37 Posts
Sign in to add your message