Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying IFR in the US for a dummy

I’m looking on basics of IFR flight planning (and execution) in the us: I’m planning my IFR first trip (and first cross country trip) in the US in 2 weeks. All licencing done, but I little or zero knowledge on:
- how to file a flight plan (I’ll be using FF, do I basically use it like Autorouter (put departure / arrival / alternate airports and let it work it’s magic).
- Am I expected the flight the flight plan all along / Can I ask for shortcuts (if I don’t get a “staight line” routing).
- How do I close the plan (I might arrive at untowered place).

Any other useful tips appreciated. Flying from KHPN → KBJJ

Hi.

Yes, file in FF is easy. Remember there you don’t need to panic about the route. You can file DCT and ATC will assign you a route. ATC once you are clear of NY are very helpful and will often clear direct if asked.

You call flight service to cancel if no VHF on the ground or you can cancel during the descent if safe to do so. Approach will normally let you know if you will be able to reach them on the ground.

Particularly around the New York area ATC speaks fast. If you don’t understand ask them to say again.

EGTK Oxford

how to file a flight plan (I’ll be using FF, do I basically use it like Autorouter (put departure / arrival / alternate airports and let it work it’s magic).

YES. FF will give yo a list of previously cleared routes with the type and altitude of aircraft. To make your life easy as first timer, I suggest you simply pick the one you like best and file that. FF will generate ack and – if applicable – change messages

- Am I expected the flight the flight plan all along / Can I ask for shortcuts (if I don’t get a “staight line” routing).

YES, mostly ATC will give you the shortcuts automatically. That said, at least out here in the West most routes are pretyy direct anyway

- How do I close the plan (I might arrive at untowered place).

At a towered airport the tower does that for you. At non-towered you either close it in the air with the last controller you talk to (APP or CTR); on the ground you sometimes can reach FSS (Flight Service) via a RCO (remote communication outlet); this will be marked in the AF/D (now known as chart supplement) publication. On some airports you can also reach the relevant APP/CTR via another form of remote comms, marked with an encircled capital ®.

Note, that you can obtain a departure clearance at a non-towered field by phone on 1-888-766-8267. If you do this, be prepared to get an intermediate clearance that gets you to a point in the system from where DEP/CTR can slot you into the flow. This can mean a clearance to a VOR with a hold. This type of clearance usually also involve a void time, so make sure you’re ready to go before calling.

One more thing: I don’t know if these things exist in the NY area (I think they do), but in CA we have something called TEC routes. This stands for Tower En-route Control and are standardized routes in extremely busy areas. They are to be found in the back of the AF/D. If that may be a factor for you route, have a look at them and be prepared to get a clearance that reads something like ’Depart via the ODP, direct XYZ VOR, then BURP19, climb and maintain 3000, expect 8000 five minutes after departure. The BURP19 part here being the TEC route. FF knows this and you can simply put BURP19 into the FPL field and it will populate the FPL with the intermediate fixes along said route. If your airplane is so equipped, you then simply send the whole shabang to the panel and voila! you got everything on your 430 or whatever.

Happy flying!

PS, edited to add: suggest you get the paper vresions of teh AF/D and also the TERPS (Terminal Procedures). While FF has all the info, it’s easier to familiarize yourself by having the paper versions

Last Edited by 172driver at 31 May 17:26

Thanks all. I get the below on FF:

I’ll be flying a NA SR2W so not flying any of the “ATC cleared” routes probably.

What does ATC cleared even mean in this context?

The file route has quite a dog leg, comparable to being route around Paris.

It seems like the getting a route is easier, but once you get it, it’s pretty much the same thing as flying one under eurocontrol?

(Edited with links updated)

172driver wrote:

One more thing: I don’t know if these things exist in the NY area (I think they do), but in CA we have something called TEC routes

Yes, they do exist for the NE area, essentially all the way from Virginia up to Maine and are listed in the Chart Supplement. They can also be found here: https://www.fly.faa.gov/rmt/nfdc_preferred_routes_database.jsp and https://www.fly.faa.gov/rmt/data_file/prefroutes_db.csv

(Not applicable for Noe’s route though as it goes beyond the NE TEC area)

Last Edited by wbardorf at 31 May 18:32
EGTF, EGLK, United Kingdom

Noe wrote:

What does ATC cleared even mean in this context?

The file route has quite a dog leg, comparable to being route around Paris.

It seems like the getting a route is easier, but once you get it, it’s pretty much the same thing as flying one under eurocontrol?

ATC cleared here means routes that have historically been approved by ATC and flown by the type of a/c noted. It simply helps in planning. Looks like your route isn’t very heavily trafficked, therefore few routes. Nothing stops you from filing DCT (or whatever takes your fancy), just be prepared to get an amended route back. The ‘Airway" route is just that: airways. You normally can expect shortcuts on that one, except if there’s a reason for the dog leg, e.g. some mil zone.

Noe wrote:

The US doesn’t have an IFPS-like validation. You can theoretically file KHPN DCT KBJJ and there are people who do that, however you will then definitely receive an amended route clearance from clearance delivery and will need to write down a pretty long route on your kneepad. I would use airways and add DCTs in cases where the doglegs are too much of a detour. Your route might still get amended but at least you don’t need to write down the entire route clearance.

Thanks, that’s very helpful. I might just file DCT to destroy after leaving the more congested NYC area, but having taken a note of the V airways route beforehand just in case to have the points at hand.
I’ve flown with an instructor in the area and agree that ATC can be a bit unsettling, all very fast, not really expecting readback, and sometimes tough accents/intonations that make understanding unexpected instruction about as hard as understanding airfield names in Iceland!

The chart supplement (https://aeronav.faa.gov/Upload_313-d/supplements/CS_NE_20190425.pdf) is actually showing the following preferred low IFR route into the Pittsburgh area:

COATE LAAYK T216 FQM V58 PSB HAYNZ

so you might want to use the same route and file with a direct leg from HAYNZ to KBJJ

Last Edited by wbardorf at 31 May 18:11

Perfect, thanks!

28 Posts
Sign in to add your message