Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

IFR in class G in Switzerland permitted now?

Does anyone know whether IFR in class G in Switzerland is now permitted?

Interestingly, the June 2017 AIP ENR 1.4 used to say:

An even older version used to simply say: “No IFR traffic in airspace G”

In the latest AIP ENR 1.4 (see below) there seems to be no mention of it at all. And given that the table lists IFR under class G without any further remark, that seems to imply that IFR in class G is no longer prohibited. Is that correct?

EGTF, EGLK, United Kingdom

I was surprised yesterday, going IFR into Coburg in Germany, that Muenchen Radar vectored us through Class G, and warned that they were doing so. I thought that that was not permitted in Germany either?

EGKB Biggin Hill

I think this is getting normalised as “allowed” all over the EU. It is allowed by SERA. Some countries took some time to accept that. I’m not sure how closely Switzerland follows EU aviation law… if they integrate “all of it”, then they are in the same train.

Belgium had the same case. Used to require permission. Then a NOTAM came out, is allowed.

@bookworm will correct me if I’m wrong

ELLX

I was surprised yesterday, going IFR into Coburg in Germany, that Muenchen Radar vectored us through Class G, and warned that they were doing so. I thought that that was not permitted in Germany either?

No, they won‘t vector you in class G. The MVA is always above the floor of the class E. What IS the case is that parts of published approach procedures lead through class G and ATC will sometimes „warn“ crews about that. That has been the case for years. The famous German NfL says exactly that, i.e.. that „for safety reasons, IFR in class G is not allowed, except when on a published instrument procedure path“.

I think that the same is true for Switzerland (IFR approach into Grenchen), but if what wb says is true, then Switzerland nows misses to publish that above mentioned „restriction“.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 02 Jun 06:32
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

For Switzerland the air law of the EU applies fully (however, it’s usually adopted in Spring and Fall in the mixed committee, and they would never dare not to vote in favor). So as for all countries, it would require a published exemption approved by the European Committee and EASA to deviate from implementing rules. There is no such exemption published (list of derogations/exemptions is on the EASA website). By the way, as far as I know, the new Basic Regulation and the EC are now mich less flexible for national exemptions and I expect less and less national inconsistencies among member states (on paper at least).

For Switzerland there isn’t much change by allowing IFR in class G, because this airspace only extends to 2000ft agl. Therefore a cruise so low likely wouldn’t be possible, due to the terrain.

A few months ago there was an Austrian “permanent” notam saying IFR in class G is forbidden, exept on published procedures (possibly related to the new SID and approach at LOIJ). This isn’t a enforceable notam as it violates the process I mentioned above.

I think all countries slowly get used to the thought of IFR in airspace G. They realize it’s legal since a couple years and possibly got a few standardization findings. :)

Last Edited by ArcticChiller at 03 Jun 06:30

Out of curiosity, how does a departure and IFR pickup from an airfield like Birrfeld work in practice if weather is poor? Is it done in similar ways to Germany?

EGTF, EGLK, United Kingdom
6 Posts
Sign in to add your message