Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Malmö TMA PPR

Recently some changes have been introduced to AIP AD ESMS that require PPR for any flights within Malmö TMA (class C) that are basically not IFR A→B flights. This has been ok so far since getting PPR has been relatively easy by making a phone call.

Now a NOTAM showed up, that states no PPR will be granted within a certain time span. Is that legal? Is this a world first?

NOTAM:
A0654/19 NOTAMN
Q) ESAA/QATLT/IV/NBO/AE/000/195/5539N01319E054
A) ESMS B) 1906120600 C) 1906162200
E) TMA ESMS MALMO TMA LIMITED, NO PPR WILL BE GRANTED WITH REF ES AIP AD 2 ESMS 2.23 ITEM 2. ADDITIONAL INFO: WATCH SUPERVISOR ATCC MALMO +46(0)406132400
CREATED: 01 Jun 2019 11:05:00
SOURCE: EUECYIYN

AIP:

Last Edited by Dimme at 05 Jun 08:33
ESME, ESMS

Hm,
that explains why we got pushed down below 1500 when we came back from our flyout on sunday. The way of separating VFR and IFR traffic i C airspace is shoving VFR into G airspace obviously.

Last Edited by mcrdriver at 05 Jun 10:40
ESG..., Sweden

What if you file and follow ATS route VFR? I’ve been through there several times IFR but as I understand the usual routes generated or given are not necessarily an ATS route.

pmh
ekbr ekbi, Denmark

Have they been looking at the way things are done in the UK…

This really isnt very good, is it…

Would a flight plan be PPR?

Last Edited by skydriller at 06 Jun 14:43

That is simply absurd, there must be a reason behind it. I assume (hope) also the AIP section is temporary.

Locals, please keep us posted!

Last Edited by AndersB at 07 Jun 07:28
ESOW, Sweden

Strange. Copenhagen Airport is a few NM from Malmö and there is a big TMA called Copenhagen Area. Copenhagen ATC doesn’t have any problems sending VFR training flights around or geosurveys etc in the TMA.

EKRK, Denmark

skydriller wrote:

We were on a flightplan departing from Germany. I have some memory of filing altitude VFR means that stations along the route does not get the FP. II do not know whether it was the case for us but that could be something to consider for next time. Still it does not mean C airspace can be turned into A at will.

Last Edited by mcrdriver at 07 Jun 09:52
ESG..., Sweden

pmh wrote:

What if you file and follow ATS route VFR?

That might be a possibility, but then you must be FL95+, not so useful for VFR flights.

skydriller wrote:

No. I quote: “Before submitting a flight plan, the operator shall obtain a prior authortrization with Watch Supervisor ATCC Malmö.”

AndersB wrote:

I assume (hope) also the AIP section is temporary.

Negative. By definition changes in AIP are permanent. Temporary changes go in NOTAM and/or AIP SUP.

ESME, ESMS

The workload for the Watch Supervisor will be enormous. I do wonder what the reason is behind this? Someone local that have good connections that can dig a bit?

If not, maybe something for AOPA Sweden to get involved in…

ESOW, Sweden

The workload for the watch supervisor between 12 and 16 of June will be zero, since according to the NOTAM all PPR requests will be denied. And who says similar NOTAMs will not get published in the future?

A similar entry for Stockholm TMA has been published for a while now, but it is not as restrictive as the one in Malmö, as it doesn’t require PPR from flights not following published routes and procedures.

Last Edited by Dimme at 07 Jun 11:19
ESME, ESMS
34 Posts
Sign in to add your message