Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

German DWD MSLP versus UK Met Office MSLP

The different charts should converge as you get nearer the present time, sure. I don’t think they converge as much as one might expect though.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I see. We’re discussing the forecast (and differences among providers) not eg two charts that show prevailing conditions. Are there differences among the latter as well? Or do they start resembling each other the closer to the actual date and time they are?

always learning
LO__, Austria

We clearly have wires crossed

This chart is prepared 120hrs ahead (t+120)

If you download this chart tomorrow (also for 1200 20/10) it will say t+96 and it will be more accurate.

As discussed here, a lot of free wx sites present these charts but older versions.

Administrator

Shouldn’t it be based on the time these conditions prevail? Why would it matter when it was prepared (seriously curious)?

always learning
LO__, Austria

Sure, but it could have been prepared at t minus 24hrs, t minus 36hrs etc.

Administrator

The Austrian one has a date and time stamp.

always learning
LO__, Austria

The corresponding UKMO MSLP

What I don’t know is how old the Austro one is. The above one is current (“analysis”) since it is past 1200 UTC when I am typing this.

I wouldn’t say they are similar.

Looking at the radar

I’d say the UKMO chart is much more accurate because it shows the troughs which give rise to the TSRAs which you see on the radar, and the sferics

Administrator

At least the same family from the same provider (DWD). They run at least two “ICON” models:

• Europe coverage with 7 km resolution
  • Global coverage with 13 km resolution
ELLX

Is “ICON” on the DWD charts

the same wx model as “ICON” on windy.com

Administrator
26 Posts
Sign in to add your message