Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What are the rules or limits on cross-border ATC coordination?

Team EuroGA shouldn’t we recognise that piston aircraft need to plan conservatively if planning IFR in mountainous terrain with MEAs of FL120 and above?

It’s one thing going lite IFR in these conditions, nicely on top in gentle winds (both weather and turbulence), and another treating a piston aircraft as a high % despatch in conditions requiring adequate weather radar and comfortable reserves of performance?

Most mountain flying advice dwells on max ridge wind speeds, weather avoidance and significant MEA adjustment for avoiding turbulence.

The thread is interesting in understanding how airspace is limiting turbine commercial transport to being stuck in orographic convective weather!

On another note lightning strikes are expensive, in addition to airframe damage you may need to demagnetise the engine to get the glass to work correctly again.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

The issue here was a demand for a descent, not a climb, and this is the actual situation where the request for the descent was resisted

I don’t have the coordinates of this image yet (the new moving map app I am using is generating the track log in a different format, so I need a new converter written) but will be able to produce a video soon.

This is also the sort of scenario where a climb would be requested. Maybe 2000ft or so would do it nicely.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
22 Posts
Sign in to add your message