Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Norway requires ALTN for VFR FPL

Does anyone know anything more about this?

This is according to news on the Swedish ARO website here.

Last Edited by Dimme at 25 Jun 12:03
ESME, ESMS

I have no recent information, but from my early days of flying VFR in Norway (mid 90’s), I remember being asked to file an alternate always. LeSving would know.

Last Edited by huv at 25 Jun 12:35
huv
EKRK, Denmark

For a short VFR, you can always file you departure airfield as alternate…

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Interesting. The Ops rules do not recognise the concept of an alternate for VFR. We discussed the possibility during the development of Part-NCO, but concluded it was too complex for the small additional flexibility it offered.

What’s the policy intent in Norway with this requirement? Is the alternate a weather contingency, or something else?

Dimme wrote:

This is according to news on the Swedish ARO website here.

I have asked the Swedish ARO for a reference to the Norwegian regulation and will report back here.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

The Swedish ARO replied that they don’t know the regulatory basis for this requirement and have looked for it in Norwegian publications without finding it. They have asked the Norwegian AIS for a clarification.

It’s always been like this AFAIK. Once I forgot, and they called me up by phone, that was 4-5 years ago. It’s definitely not a new thing. I’m not sure why, but you can file plans to places that aren’t necessarily usable to land on at arrival due to changes in weather, changes in surface conditions or whatever. An alternate will help SAR. The alternate could also be the departure airport (I think, but have never filed such a plan).

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Is Norway implementing Part-NCO?

ESME, ESMS

Dimme wrote:

Is Norway implementing Part-NCO?

It has been implemented several years ago. But, Part-NCO is EASA aircraft exclusively. There was talk about “NCO-ifying” local regs for all non EASA aircraft, but no changes as of yet, and no more talk either.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

It’s always been like this AFAIK. Once I forgot, and they called me up by phone, that was 4-5 years ago. It’s definitely not a new thing. I’m not sure why, but you can file plans to places that aren’t necessarily usable to land on at arrival due to changes in weather, changes in surface conditions or whatever. An alternate will help SAR. The alternate could also be the departure airport (I think, but have never filed such a plan).

So does this apply to all flights or only to flights from abroad? Anyway, if Norway does have implemented part-NCO, there is no legal basis for that requirement.

49 Posts
Sign in to add your message