Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Traffic Service (UK)

An example video of how close things can get, but with a traffic service for me it makes it that bit safer.

Where possible I always use a Traffic Service outside controlled airspace, especially when I venture in and out of clouds.

Qualified PPL with IR SP/SE PBN
EGSG, United Kingdom

The problem is that >> 50% of traffic was not reported to you, and even traffic the controller is aware of doesn’t need to be reported to you. It is better than nothing, sure, but any sense of security is an illusion.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Given the amount of collisions in IMC, one could also argue that any sense of INsecurity is an illusion.

Last Edited by Noe at 01 Jul 18:30

Noe wrote:

Given the amount of collisions in IMC, one could also argue that any sense of INsecurity is an illusion.

While I completely agree about full IMC, the cloud conditions in that video, where one person may be going in and out of cloud while someone else is dodging between, is a different matter.

Hence the distance from cloud requirements in VMC, but they are widely ignored.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Under/around the London TMA, they need to be ignored pretty frequently.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I know I am a wimp, but if I am in an out of cloud I am IFR and expect a traffic service if available. I have had arguments with some service providers when they still refuse but it sometimes does the trick. I am increasingly of the opinion that services OCAS are hanging together by a piece of string, so dont be surprised if you get nothing.

I do know my chances of a mid air are probably about the same as winning the lottery.

However, whatever you do, dont infringe, because it seems you will get plenty of service then, just not the service you were expecting

Fuji_Abound wrote:

I do know my chances of a mid air are probably about the same as winning the lottery

Depending if en-route or near busy airport circuit under LMTA, euromillion lottery vs family dinner lottery

Last Edited by Ibra at 01 Jul 20:56
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Noticed that you breathe a big sigh of relief and seem to consider the situation resolved when told the other traffic has you in sight?

That’s a fair bit of trust to put in another pilot, isn’t it? What if he had an aircraft in sight, but it wasn’t you?

An example also of the RT issues that one often sees in the South East of England. The PA28 from Blackbushe to Rotterdam didn’t make RT mistakes as such, but he was very, very slow and when you have a few of those on frequency it can make things almost unworkable.

EGLM & EGTN

Having worked with people since I was 16, I’ve learned never to trust people.

But realistically I thought this was a good video because it just shows how valuable the service Farnborough provides can be. I am under the impression we need more LARS units so all traffic is known. There just needs to be a way to cut down the RT on the frequencies.

Personally I thought the PA28 had amazing airmanship by descending whilst I climbed. It just reduced the collision risk somewhat and was easy for both of us to paint that 3D picture in our mind.

Qualified PPL with IR SP/SE PBN
EGSG, United Kingdom

pilotrobbie wrote:

I am under the impression we need more LARS units so all traffic is known.

Given that you’ve “learned never to trust people”, I think you might want to consider the efficacy of that approach, as well as the cost and hassle for all involved.

pilotrobbie wrote:

IThere just needs to be a way to cut down the RT on the frequencies.

ADS-B IN is that, no radio chatter or ATC personnel needed and you can see everybody. Just remember to keep flying the plane too.

37 Posts
Sign in to add your message