Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Why file (or not) a MOR?

Yesterday a friend was about to fly as two-ship with me in a club aircraft and I noticed a small but bloody dent on the leading edge. The club aircraft was taken out of service and a MOR was filed.

This led me to wonder, what are the advantages and disadvantages of filing a MOR for minor matters in GA, I have the sense that daily countless little things happen on airfields and in cockpits that are strictly within the definition of a MOR but not considered ‘worth the paperwork’…

Is it really so much paperwork? Does it go on file somewhere to effect pilot licensing and/or insurance? If the airfield has filed a MOR on, say a birdstrike, is there any point in the pilot also doing so?

(ideally could we exclude airspace infringements from the discussion as that is well covered elsewhere)

Last Edited by NealCS at 14 Jul 08:12
TB20 IR(R) 600hrs
EGKA Shoreham, United Kingdom

Under EASA rules that came out about 18 months ago, it is mandatory.

So your question is really one of attitude to compliance.

EGKB Biggin Hill

What Timothy said. Filing an Occurrence Report is well and clearly defined by EASA. Given the energy expended, not so much on this forum but in another place, people seem to think (a) they are optional and (b) some kind of punitive measure.

In answer to the implication in the OP that it is a lot of “paperwork”, for my recent bird strike and diversion it took maybe five minutes to file online (no paper involved) and that was it. The report did not even get included in the monthly CAA summary of UK ones.

I’ll post a link to the relevant EASA pages shortly.

strip near EGGW

EASA page

https://www.easa.europa.eu/easa-and-you/safety-management/aviation-safety-reporting

Reporting portal page

http://www.aviationreporting.eu/AviationReporting/

Full lists of who must report what are in

EASA AMC 20-8

Google (or otherwise search) that term and you will get to it. The EASA website is, to use a technical term, pants so a direct link is not practical.

Last Edited by Joe-fbs at 14 Jul 11:33
strip near EGGW

I wonder what the learning value is from a bird strike report.

It is probably similar to reporting hangar rash. It is similarly random and while the perpetrator is not going to be dead he will very likely not own up to it

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

It is probably similar to reporting hangar rash. It is similarly random and while the perpetrator is not going to be dead he will very likely not own up to it

It’s probably going into some big data AI. After a few years the AI will find an “surprising” correspondence between bird strikes and seasonal bird migration

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

The same goes for fuel spillage, the smallest of which is reportable.

This is a typical example of losing the concept of “policing by consent”. By over-egging the pudding, they are putting people off the whole reporting system.

A properly functioning reporting system is the bedrock of aviation safety and for a bunch of anal bureaucrats to wreck it by pushing it too far is criminal.

Why don’t regulators know when to stop?

EGKB Biggin Hill

It is human nature to inflate one’s workload, if one is getting paid for it

If not getting paid, most people want to do as little as possible.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Honestly, the whole thing is silly, most people should almost be writing a MOR after every flight the triggering conditions seem so trivial (how often does a small amount of fuel get spilled when you sample your tanks?) – leading to a complete loss of respect for the system.

The regulators should ask themselves with respect to private flights in light aircraft: “if we don’t require X to be reported by a car driver, we should not require it for private flying either”. No one would report hitting a pigeon with their car. It’s absurd that it’s required for a Cessna 172.

Andreas IOM

Even worse is when reports can be used in criminal prosecution as in Switzerland: it kills the whole system, regardless of what the legal requirement may be

Antonio
LESB, Spain
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message