Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Helicopter Tree Sawing in the MD 500 (and other amazing feats in helicopters)

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It is amazing what people do in aircraft. Thank you for sharing.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Holy sh*t! And all that right next to power lines………

I haven’t flown the saw, but I have flown long line loads under the MD500D. It is an awesomely agile and precise machine. With skill, you can place your slung load within a foot or so of where you intend. It’s worth noting though, that the entire operation is within the “avoid” curve for the helicopter. If the engine fails (or tail rotor), a successful autorotation landing is unlikely. ’Sure is fun though!

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada

172driver wrote:

And all that right next to power lines………

Reminds me how the high voltage power lines are drawn here in Norway. They use a helicopter with a dragline and a needle to literally sew the lines.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Wow, how long is the duty time of those pilots? It looks like a really precise job until the needle is completely through!

P19 EDFE EDVE EDDS

A few more here

I wonder what the Plan B is there? They can presumably leave the guy dangling on the power line while they drop off and autorotate down – if there is enough height to do that.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Excuse my ignorance – how many engines do these helicopters have?

Biggin Hill

The MD 500D has one very reliable engine, and there is no plan B. These operations require special flight authority, in which it is understood that successful autorotations are unlikely.

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada

Why is there a discharge when the helicopter leaves the power line?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
15 Posts
Sign in to add your message