Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

US trip (and engine failure at St Johns)

I’ve done the crossing 3 times now, and am hoping to make it 5 next summer.
I know that part of the world quite well. I was based in Goose Bay Labrador for nearly 3 years. I got my PPL there at age 20 – and was lucky enough to do a lot of bush flying with local air charter companies flying Otter, Beaver, C175/185 etc. I fought very hard to leave the RAF and stay there. (Unfortunately unsuccessfully).

Lefty
EGLM

Great Job! Glad to hear you are back home and the new engine is behaving itself.

Was there any outcome on what happened to the old one? I’d be interested to hear what the failure was.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Mooney_Driver wrote:

Great Job! Glad to hear you are back home and the new engine is behaving itself.

Was there any outcome on what happened to the old one? I’d be interested to hear what the failure was.

Nothing definite yet. But I know the Valve (number 2 failed) was not seized and the push-rod basically wrapped around the camshaft and punctured the crank case on both sides. Why that happened is still a mystery. The engine is being shipped back to Lycoming – which is going to take a while…

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

LFHNflightstudent wrote:

But I know the Valve (number 2 failed) was not seized and the push-rod basically wrapped around the camshaft and punctured the crank case on both sides.

Amazing the engine kept running with that kind of damage!

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

Amazing the engine kept running with that kind of damage!

Agree. Perhaps the LyContosauri aren’t that bad after all. Amazing.

Tom32 wrote:

If I recall correctly, he flew his Single Commanche from Blackbushe to St Johns and back 16 times (32 crossings)

This sounds very familiar. I “helped” restore a Commanche that had apparently flown the Atlantic many times. It had all sorts of modifications – flap track fairings, dorsal fin, tip tanks and various other drag reducing items. I flew left seat in it a few times and the engine absolutely purred. Do you happen to know the registration?

EDLN/EDLF, Germany

Glad to read situation was resolved! Well done!

Antonio
LESB, Spain
87 Posts
Sign in to add your message