Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

SR22 down in the Alps (Austria) D-EUFO

loco wrote:

From my (limited) experience of flying in valleys, TAWS always gets inhibited, because it keeps alerting all the time.

Then why have it. If it goes off, it goes off with a reason. That is like inhibiting the gear warning which is noisy and then moan when you end up on the belly.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

I also inhibit TAWS when flying in valleys. It just goes off constantly which is annoying and makes you numb for times when you really need it.
I tend to prefer SynVis active, even though my flight instructor doesn’t recommend it because “it’s distracting”. Of course if it was VMC CFIT, the SynVis also doesn’t help…

Switzerland

Mooney_Driver wrote:

SV (…) So it was installed and I don’t think anyone would turn it off.

I do know a pilot that prefers to turn Synthetic Vision off. He expects the “horizon” on the glass cockpit to be a bigger version of the attitude indicator, referenced to the horizontal, and SV gets in the way of that. It leaves you “only” with a white line for “horizontal”, and not the blue/brown areas.

ELLX

This accident looks like this one of a Baron. In that case they assumed an IMC component but actually they don’t know.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Mooney_Driver wrote:

Then why have it. If it goes off, it goes off with a reason. That is like inhibiting the gear warning which is noisy and then moan when you end up on the belly.

Let me explain it with an example. You’re flying IMC and selected “direct to” wrong waypoint somewhere down the route. It puts you on a collision course with a mountain. This is where TAWS is useful. It is not useful however when you’re VMC and flying close to terrain along a valley. It’s too sensitive then and keeps alerting all the time. TAWS becomes a distraction and gets inhibited.

LPFR, Poland

I agree with that observation – TAWS does not work well for flying VFR in valleys. It actually encourages staying in the middle of the valley, instead of to one side where you have a constant terrain warning.

Shame, though, that you can’t put it into a “valley mode” where the alert parameters are more in line what is required. Not sure that is even possible, given the terrain database resolution

Biggin Hill
46 Posts
Sign in to add your message