Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Routing advice - Switzerland and Samedan LSZS

I am taking a Chieftain (no oxygen) from UK to Samedan and Samedan to Munich this weekend.

I would appreciate routing advice. Safety trumps dramatic views, I am afraid.

@mooney_driver
@chflyer
@tomjnx
@bleriot
@Grassfield

EGKB Biggin Hill

So that means VFR, there’s no way to fly IFR anywhere close to LSZS without oxygen (or pressurized cabin).

The (VFR) ICAO chart is now online

The easiest routing IMO would be depart northbound along the valley, via Zernez (which is a reporting point) to Susch, there turn left and continue over the Flüelapass to Davos, there turn right towards Klosters, then follow the Prättigau valley to Landquart, right to Bad Ragaz. At that point you can either take the Rhine valley north bound or via the Walensee northeast bound.

I have no idea about the performance of the Chieftain, but that route gives you usually plenty of time to climb to cruise altitude. The Flüelapass is around 7800ft, so plan a cruise altitude above 9000ft. LS-R11 is almost never active, but do check the daily airspace bulletin https://www.skybriefing.com/portal/de/dabs.

Be very aware about the winds if you depart southbound. There can be severe downdrafts shortly after takeoff in the region of Celerina where the valley forks, that have cost a few planes in the recent decades.

Also, unless you have a mountain rating you need an airport familiarization with a flight instructor that himself had obtained a familiarization…

LSZK, Switzerland

Inbound Samedan:
Bad Ragaz – Davos – Flüelapass – Zernez – Samedan

Outbound Samedan (direct, but beautiful):
Samedan – Zernez – Imst – Seefeld in Tirol – Mittenwald – Munich

Outbound Samedan (not so direct, also beautiful):
Samedan – Ofenpass – Meran – Sterzing – Innsbruck – (possibly Kufstein) – Munich

If you fly at 9.000 ft or a bit above you (I personally like 10k-12k best in that area) will always have plenty of space above the valley and amazing views.
Be aware of gliders. This whole area is on nice weekends heavily congested with gliders up to FL 125 and on some days (hopefully with clearance) up to FL150. We (I am mainly a glider pilot) come often in gaggles. So if you see one, be aware that there are possibly some following (Flarm is your friend!), especially if you are flying under a nice CU which I would try to avoid (only bumps for the chieftain – I don’t think it will climb significantly :) ).

Austria

tomjnx wrote:

Also, unless you have a mountain rating you need an airport familiarization with a flight instructor that himself had obtained a familiarization…

Samedan have their own online briefing and test, thank you. I got 100%

Last Edited by Timothy at 21 Jul 08:46
EGKB Biggin Hill

That is unfortunately only one part of the requirements to go there in a light aircraft.

http://engadin-airport.ch/fileadmin/user_upload/Qualification-Currency-Requalification.pdf local copy

Last Edited by Rwy20 at 21 Jul 08:59

If the Chieftain is ICAO approach speed category B then there is no inflight familiarisation with instructor needed as long as CAVOK conditions are present.

Paul

LSZG

Vso is 64 kts x 1.3 = 83 which is below 90, so looks like a CAT A to me.

Vref is over 90. It’s definitely Cat B.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Incidentally, it’s going to be ISA+25, and we are MTOM, which at 5600’ will be a challenge if we lose an engine.

Last Edited by Timothy at 21 Jul 09:56
EGKB Biggin Hill

Rwy20 wrote:

Vso is 64 kts x 1.3 = 83 which is below 90, so looks like a CAT A to me.

Timothy wrote:

Vref is over 90. It’s definitely Cat B.

Using Vref to determine approach category seems to be a TERPS thing. PANS-OPS doesn’t mention it. PANS-OPS says:

The criterion taken into consideration for the classification of aeroplanes by categories is the indicated airspeed at threshold (Vat), which is equal to the stall speed Vso multiplied by 1.3, or stall speed Vs1g multiplied by 1.23 in the landing configuration at the maximum certificated landing mass. If both Vso and Vs1g are available, the higher resulting Vat shall be applied.

I have no idea what Vs1g would be for a Chieftain…

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 21 Jul 10:07
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
24 Posts
Sign in to add your message