Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Routing advice - Switzerland and Samedan LSZS

Great. I was going to mention density altitude next but knowing you were going to take that seriously. The DA can be eye watering on a hot day there.

Interesting question, since you are an instructor, is if you can self-checkout, i.e. come in a CAT B plane first then next time in a CAT A, all without the need for another instructor.

Using Vref to determine approach category seems to be a TERPS thing. PANS-OPS doesn’t mention it.

If it’s an N reg plane, I suppose TERPS would apply since we’re talking about an ICAO classification? Wouldn’t make sense to qualify the same plane differently in different ICAO member states IMHO.

Last Edited by Rwy20 at 21 Jul 10:16

This may be an interesting discussion for another thread, but there is no question that the Chieftain is Cat B by any definition. Rwy20 is misinformed about the Vso, it’s actually 74kts (85 mph), so 74 × 1.3 = 96kts
      
      

      
      
So, pretty please, could we move away from trying to be the world’s policeman and back to the helpful part of the discussion about getting a heavy PA31 in and out of Samedan on a hot day?

Thank you.

Last Edited by Timothy at 21 Jul 10:43
EGKB Biggin Hill

I was trying to be helpful… by the way if you look at para 7.4.5 here, then the way this is written, as an FI with the theory briefing you should be fine: http://elearning.engadin-airport.ch/MediaItems/attachments/Konzept_Einweisungspflicht_V1._29_engl.pdf

Last Edited by Rwy20 at 21 Jul 11:32

I have been many times to LSZS but only in the winter when the low temperatures do help a lot. In a bigger plane I would always do the full straight approach from Maloja or Zernez. Some do a tight circuit, some come from the side valleys etc. but I would land straight.

If the wind is calm, which it usually is in the winter when we come, AFIS is flexible about the runway in use which might help in some cases.

The main thing to realize is there is a significant little hill in the valley between Samedan and St. Moritz. This means on approach to RW03 you have to come in rather high to clear it. The hill is very important when taking off from RW21. You will need serious performance to clear the hill directly. The chart suggests weaker planes do a traffic pattern first to gain altitude. But the valley is quite narrow so I suggest taking off on RW21 if possible which is much easier. Then you have until Zernez to outclimb the mountains. After Zernez the valley becomes much narrower.

Beware of the airport fees for aircraft above 2 tons. Those can be significant and above 4 tons they go crazy. Parking after 2 hours is also quite expensive.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Thank you. 03 would actually be more convenient for my route (and not making any valley turns) and (even though it’s rather a way off) all the models say nil wind.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Rwy20 wrote:

I was trying to be helpful

Sorry, that was harsh, I apologise. But I have been flying PA31 for over 30 years, and I do know what Cat it’s in. I often wish it were A

EGKB Biggin Hill

Timothy wrote:

Thank you. 03 would actually be more convenient for my route (and not making any valley turns) and (even though it’s rather a way off) all the models say nil wind.

If it is a sunny day with thermals around noon local time the low level wind in the valley will most likely turn to southerly wind due to thermal activity in the high mountains.

When people go there for gliding they usually wait until the wind turns towards a south wind because that means the mountains in the north work. It is not an exact science, just something to keep in mind.

Austria

Thank you all for the great help and advice. I have now flown the routes on X-Plane, with a 9,000’ cloudbase, and I see exactly what I have to do, thank you.

However, some outstanding questions:

1. I need to know by Bad Ragatz whether to turn left for 21 or right or 03. How do I find out which is in use?
  2. If LSR11 is active, what should I do to land on 21 or depart for Munich?
  3. On departure I need to go NE. What do I do if either the wind or traffic strongly favours 21?
  4. What is Zurich Delta?

Sorry if all this sounds a bit anal, but this does seem to be the kind of destination to benefit from planning and forethought!

Last Edited by Timothy at 21 Jul 17:59
EGKB Biggin Hill

Delta is a special information frequency for the difficult cases 8-)

Unlike Zürich Information, Delta is staffed (if it is actually staffed) with fully qualified air traffic controllers, that is they can give you clearances, and not just relay them

LSZK, Switzerland
Sign in to add your message