Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

62 pages of Notams for a 70 NM cross country flight???

All I can say is wtf???

Doing a training trip today from ZRH to a small airfield in Germany and just got the notam briefing out: 62 full small print A4 pages?

Coming out of the Skyguide Smart Briefing System?

What have I missed in the last 3 years?

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

And a bunch of them I bet are irrelevant – things like eastern Ukraine overflight, the B737MAX grounding (both of those were in my NOTAMs list for a 45 minute VFR flight to Northern Ireland).

Andreas IOM

I noticed that as well. You get many irrelevant ones in German airspace about other countries. Also in Greece you get the usual Greco-Turkish who-has-the-longest-“NOTAM” cockfight.

The NOTAM system is way to open so it obviously gets abused. It needs a total redesign.

Last Edited by Dimme at 22 Jul 10:12
ESME, ESMS

Went through the lot… total garbage, all of it.

It printed 3 FIRs which all had a couple of hundred cranes. So obstacle notams. Any important notams would have been hidden someplace inside it. And using the smart notam option, the only notam relevant for me was pruned and I found it on the one page notam brief at easy vfr.

I have implemented a very basic interface to this: https://www.icao.int/safety/iStars/Pages/Chat-with-NORM.aspx

It takes all NOTAMs for an airport and passes them though NORM to figure out how critical they are. It’s not always accurate and it is very slow. Let me know if you want access.

ESME, ESMS

Yes please!

And today I see a classic NOTAM for France:

Covers all france. ie huge influence. Refers to a AIP-SUP (199/19) which basicly lists every single CTR in France with coordinates and activation times. ie its replacing the current AIP. Now yes, I guess this needs to NOTAMed but its 20 odd pages of coordinates and times….not a hope in hell Im digesting/understanding this NOTAM!!

Dimme wrote:

It takes all NOTAMs for an airport and passes them though NORM to figure out how critical they are. It’s not always accurate and it is very slow. Let me know if you want access.

NORM is a good idea, but from the samples on the page I’m no so sure about how it currently works. E.g. NORM disagreed that a NOTAM which raised IAP minima was critical.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

NORM is very early stage.

ESME, ESMS

Airborne_Again wrote:

E.g. NORM disagreed that a NOTAM which raised IAP minima was critical.

Well, as I had lately (in July), a NOTAM dated March that raises IAP minima is non-critical. The raised minima will already be on my updated approach plates. It is kinda-maybe useful as a nudge for “don’t use that old printed plate that you didn’t update in six months” and for “Jeppesen and Lido, update your plates”, but not critical to (I hope!) most pilots’ workflow.

ELLX
15 Posts
Sign in to add your message