Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Inside Edinburgh ATC, and ATC procedures for transits

Love it. „If you call us, that doesn‘t mean you will get any service, but please do call us up nevertheless.“

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Peter wrote:

Interesting that the CAIT software uses the squawk – just as I posted elsewhere earlier.

And this probably shows that the Isle of Man is not using CAIT – half the time I go to Ronaldsway I don’t get given a squawk and stay on 7000 all the way in.

Andreas IOM

If the IOM used CAIT, and not reporting was an ATC disciplinary, then given a few years there would be no GA left there

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

To be honest I don’t think there are many (if any) busts at all – the airspace is pretty simple, most GA operates from Ronaldsway (so they actually start in CAS so always have a clearance) so I doubt the government wanted to spend any money on the software. Anyone crossing the Irish Sea near the Isle of Man will be talking to them anyway since they provide radar coverage of a huge swathe of the Irish Sea (and have good radios, I have no problem contacting them from St Bees Head or from the Fylde coast, or from the Northern Ireland coast)

Andreas IOM

For GA, the registration gives the callsign, and is electronically received from Mode S. I have doubts that voice-to-text will ever work for all voices over avaition radio.
An excellent video, particularly interesting for me, having busted their airspace 3 weeks ago, and received my “no further action” email this morning.
Pre-phoning every ATC unit would be a lot of work for a long VFR flight. Would a flight plan be of use, if the intention is to stay in Class G?
Perhaps someone with knowledge might anonymously comment.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

What I can tell you is that VFR flight plans are not (in the UK) distributed to anybody enroute.

You could address it manually but they are likely to bin it.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I thought the same after watching the video. Why not ask pilots who want a radar service to file FPLs ? They would be in the system, could be assigned a unique squawk (or maybe not) and would receive a service in the radar covered areas adding little workload to ATC.
But the UK also destroyed its FPL system

They are happy for you to use a listening squawk because they don’t have to type you in

LFOU, France

Jujupilote wrote:

I thought the same after watching the video. Why not ask pilots who want a radar service to file FPLs

That’s how it’s done in Norway and it works very well. You file a file plan, all ATC you get in touch with have your information and you have the same squawk throughout the whole flight.

ENVA, Norway

WingsWaterAndWheels wrote:

That’s how it’s done in Norway and it works very well. You file a file plan, all ATC you get in touch with have your information and you have the same squawk throughout the whole flight.

It works the same way in Sweden.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Not intending to defend the UK’s miserable ATC for GA, but of course, the above works very well in countries with almost no traffic.

Other countries simply don’t want thousands of VFR flightplans per day, and certainly don’t want that VFR FPL data to clog up the ATC systems. German DFS argues this way. Although I have to say, I don’t really understandf it. What ATC could do is “store” the VFR FPL data in the background and, IF the controller wishes so, he could then call up the callsign and have the FPL data at his hand. But then again, Germany ATC does not require all that BS data on the flight strip, they merely want reg, type, from/to and that’s it, so that takes only a few seconds to transit via radio. Same in France.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
20 Posts
Sign in to add your message