Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Reasons for using less than the POH-specified landing flap setting

Airborne_Again wrote:

The POH does recommend wing down

I was wondering if this Cessna revision has anything to do with occasional “No sideslips with flaps” placard that we see in some 172’s and which even comes up in the Cessna book thread. I find it hard to understand why there would be any crab angle crosswind speed (I know it’s not a limitation) other than due to weathercocking on roll out and taxi, although obviously the landing does become a bit sporty over 20kts x wind!

EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom

The DA-40 has a fairly low full-flap Vfe of 91 KIAS, but is capable of 20+ KT crosswind landings and has good controllability in turbulence. Using approach flaps with higher Vfe reduces the risk of overspeeding during final approach in such conditions. Flapless landings, however, are not recommended (also on many other types) because of the increased risk of a tailstrike.

Last Edited by huv at 29 Jul 14:00
huv
EKRK, Denmark

The demonstrated crosswind is 20 kt with no flap or 10° flap and 15 kt with more than 10° flap.

That’s a big difference.

The TB20’s max demo is 25kt with full flaps so on the above basis that would be a lot more with half flap

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Can you define “POH specified landing flap setting”? Do you mean a specified limitation of flap setting for normal operations or performance tables that state a flap setting as part of their conditions?

EGCV, United Kingdom

For me, it would be whatever the POH says should be used in normal operations.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
15 Posts
Sign in to add your message