Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Converting unusual lat/long coordinates to 'standard'

I’m attempting to convert several hundred lat/long coordinates to the more conventional Nddmmss Wdddmmss format, without success, despite trying out the various converters on the web.

(a) Lat / Long entry in the Kenyan CAA AIP format:

S 01° 19,76
E 036° 52,68

(b) Lat / Long in the AeroClub of East Africa database format (several hundred airstrips:

S 00°48.100’
E 36°24.700’

Can anyone help me understand the formats in both (a) and (b) above, and how to convert?

Swanborough Farm (UK), Shoreham EGKA, Soysambu (Kenya), Kenya

(a)
1 degree and 19.76 minutes South, 36 degrees 52.68 minutes East
also more traditionally
1 degree 19 minutes and 0.76 × 60 = 46 seconds South, 36 degrees 52 minutes and 0.68 × 60 = 41 seconds East

(b)
0 degree and 48.1 minutes South, 36 degrees 24.7 minutes East
or
S004806E0362442

Last Edited by AlexG at 31 Jul 18:19
LFPL, France

That’s really appreciated, Alex – very many thanks!

Isn’t “S 01° 19,76” ambiguous?

It is OK if you assume the comma is actually a decimal point, which is how it is used in some countries (in Europe only?).

Otherwise, it could be 19 mins 76 secs, or 19.76 mins.

I’ve had to do a lot of this stuff over the years and normally try to resolve ambiguities by checking a known location (e.g. an airport) whose coordinates are published in the given format, as well as a more standard format.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I’m assuming the comma is a decimal point, but will test by plotting the coordinates.

I think that’s more likely than 76 secs, which would hopefully have been adjusted to 1min 16secs? Likewise with minutes?

Last Edited by 2greens1red at 31 Jul 19:10

Yes, whoops, “76” cannot be seconds

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

My UK Memory Map offers a choice of formats. I can get UK points in either format. For “several hundred” you might find a source with the desired format.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Thanks, Maoraigh – it’s the ‘source’ which is elusive…..

It is OK if you assume the comma is actually a decimal point, which is how it is used in some countries (in Europe only?).

Funny, I always thought the comma as a decimal point was standard usage and the US/UK were the only countries “doing it wrong”. I guess it all depends on where you grew up…

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

MedEwok wrote:

Funny, I always thought the comma as a decimal point was standard usage and the US/UK were the only countries “doing it wrong”. I guess it all depends on where you grew up…

As usual Wikipedia knows. The use of comma is much more widespread than I thought.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
20 Posts
Sign in to add your message