Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Autorouter issues and questions (merged)

That’s what I do aswell: I always enter all waypoints. The advantage is that you can simply select one and press Direct when you get a shortcut. Another advantage is that I have a complete list of WPs and don’t have to to let ATC spell them, especially when the radio quality is bad. But I also get many new ones on flight.

I have never had an SID change, but i do ocassionally get a shortcut from the SID.

Alexis wrote:

I have never had an SID change, but i do ocassionally get a shortcut from the SID.

Yes you are right, I mean getting a direct shortly after take off .

Vladimir wrote:

Change it and autorouter will give you higher levels.

How did you do?

Berlin, Germany

Open the aircraft and change this:

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

highflyer wrote:

Does anyone know how to change the data?

Edit the data of your aircraft

LFPT, LFPN

You can also choose your altitude range when creating a route:

LFPT, LFPN

Aviathor & Vladimir, you are great, many thanks!

Berlin, Germany

Thanks all for the insight on this. I think the first thing hanging me up was that it seems to choose a low power setting by default (45%) and I missed that and got a route at the lower speeds. That’s why I was surprised it seemed to be asking me to slow down to 135kts or thought maybe the speeds were IAS somehow. But I just ran a new route with the power setting at 79% and got reasonable speeds for my plane (175-200kts depending on level).

So it sounds like I’ll not take the altitudes and speeds too seriously but just leave them in when I file. Of course ATC will modify everything as I fly anyway.

EHLE, Netherlands

So it sounds like I’ll not take the altitudes and speeds too seriously but just leave them in when I file. Of course ATC will modify everything as I fly anyway.

I do edit the altitudes to avoid the clutter. Why should I file altitude changes unless there is a good reason to?

And ATC will seldom modify everything and shove it down your throat. Europe is different from the US. You will normally be cleared as filed, but once airborne, they will most of the time give you shortcuts by clearing you direct to some waypoint far away, or to the limit of their airspace, sometimes even beyond if they manage to coordinate that with the next controller. At the altitudes we fly we can pick and choose as those altitudes are unattractive to jets and turboprops.

Actually you may be the one asking for an altitude change or headings to avoid.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 16 Jun 07:39
LFPT, LFPN

Why should I file altitude changes unless there is a good reason to?

Often, these are required to get the route to validate. One almost never has to fly the vertical changes though.

Before Autorouter, I used FlightPlanPro and that didn’t operate any kind of aircraft performance model for the purpose of developing the route. It still came up with much the same routes as Autorouter does, especially in terms of what is actually flown. FPP did generate loads of level changes too but they were for validation purposes only. However I think FPP (which was always my backup) is now broken; not much validates except France.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Often, these are required to get the route to validate.

Well, that is a good reason But often the route will still validate even if you remove some of those.

LFPT, LFPN
Sign in to add your message