Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What 1000ft separation looks like at FL380/390/400

This one is doing the social media rounds… again apologies for the portrait video

Best viewed full-screen.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
EHTE, Netherlands

Probably 2000 ft rather than 1000 due to RVSM.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Ultranomad wrote:

Probably 2000 ft rather than 1000 due to RVSM.

No, opposite direction will be 1000ft under RVSM.

EGTK Oxford

Taken on smartphone. Looks A LOT closer in reality.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Snoopy wrote:

Snoopy 22-Aug-19 21:39 05
Taken on smartphone. Looks A LOT closer in reality.

Agreed. People who sit up front with me are often horrified at how close it looks.

EGTK Oxford

JasonC wrote:

No, opposite direction will be 1000ft under RVSM.

Oops, my bad. Brain fart.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

It always reminds me of the importance to keep altitude with much precision. You have to get off track very far to hit another plane in IFR airspace but vertical tolerances are tight…
A while ago a BAe146 did pass us 1000ft above at FL290 and just as he was over us the plane did release for a second a kind of liquid forming a tine white flare. So besides wake turbulence more unpleasant stuff can come from above.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Sebastian_G wrote:

It always reminds me of the importance to keep altitude with much precision. You have to get off track very far to hit another plane in IFR airspace but vertical tolerances are tight…
A while ago a BAe146 did pass us 1000ft above at FL290 and just as he was over us the plane did release for a second a kind of liquid forming a tine white flare. So besides wake turbulence more unpleasant stuff can come from above.

And also the reason why to fly in RVSM airspace you must have a working autopilot. And in practice everyone uses it.You go off altitude and can trigger an airliner RA and all of a sudden things are not looking up…

EGTK Oxford

Sebastian_G wrote:

A while ago a BAe146 did pass us 1000ft above at FL290 and just as he was over us the plane did release for a second a kind of liquid forming a tine white flare.

I used to fly a plane that had a little „kitchen sink“ in the galley that led to a drain outside. Maybe what you saw was sublimated coffee.

always learning
LO__, Austria
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message