Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Piper Arrow G-BVDH down on the Simplon Pass in Switzerland

By only looking at Skydemon to plan your flight, I can see how you can be lulled into flightplanning to pass the pass at 6579ft (highest point) or 6800ft (reference altitude GAFOR route) when you are not used to fly in between mountains with sloping terrain. One could easily convince himself to leisurely climb when needed from 6000ft to 7500ft in perfect VMC only when visible with the obstacle, but groundspeed, performance and upslope might have been not compatible with such thought. Add some distraction to it and the holes in the swiss cheese might have lined up.
Terrible accident. I have a Turbo Arrow, SD, lack of mountain rating and have been looking at crossing those passes and I could have made such mistake.
Those GAFOR routes look inviting on SD to be leisurely used. I believe SD should give some more background info on what is “reference altitude”, and might consider adding the minimum crossing altitude to their charts. I wrote them an email.

Last Edited by Niner_Mike at 31 Aug 10:33
Abeam the Flying Dream
EBKT, western Belgium, Belgium

Still can’t help thinking that seeing figures likes 6500 (knowing them to be feet) either on a chart or on my altimeter in a major Alpine Pass would start ‘bells ringing’.
Sure during the planning stage I might say “what?!”. Was it a mistake, or simple for the benefit of the child (baby) in particular?
Maybe it simple was not wise to take a child (baby) on such a flight in a non-pressurised aircraft?
Sure jgmusic must have discussed this trip with other knowledgeables (Instructors / Medics etc) back at North Weald.
Absolute tragedy.

Regret no current medical
Was Sandtoft EGCF, North England, United Kingdom

You can cross the Brenner at 4500ft. 6500 isn’t a problem per se….

Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

I agree 6500ft should start bells ringing if anywhere near the Alps, but not everyone thinks this way.

See e.g. this where they crashed around there, among terrain a lot higher than that. And (he was a good friend of mine) he was a bizjet pilot who flew over the Alps countless times, flying for Starwings, and others.

I think there is no way of knowing (unless we find a post by jgmusic saying so) how high he thought the Alps were. I reckon the average N European PPL has very little idea, until they have been there.

You can cross the Brenner at 4500ft. 6500 isn’t a problem per se….

On which route? Can you post a map, so we can relate it to this?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I guess @EuroFlyer is relating to this map.

Although I prefer to be at least at or above 8000ft when using this route towards Bolzano.

EDAQ, Germany

Not at home, so I can’t immediately relate this to the accident flight’s southerly turning point, but having done the first part of the Bolzano to Brenner bit a couple of years ago

I think doing it at 4500ft would be “quite interesting”, and very much “one for the locals”

A representative part of the pass is say around 45:00.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Niner_Mike wrote:

I believe SD should give some more background info on what is “reference altitude”, and might consider adding the minimum crossing altitude to their charts. I wrote them an email.

I think this is a very insightful observation.

I suppose if you haven’t flown in or over mountains you might have not have the same level of anticipation that comes after. 2000 ft above the highest peak in the area is my preference, on the basis of 1000 ft for every ten knots of wind and 20 knots being common.

Yes I was referring that main GA highway from Innsbruck to Bozen and on…. 4500 feet is no problem over the Brenner, the scenery is very nice, especially the border and then further on through the valley.

Last Edited by EuroFlyer at 31 Aug 15:32
Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

EuroFlyer wrote:

Yes I was referring that main GA highway from Innsbruck to Bozen and on…. 4500 feet is no problem over the Brenner, the scenery is very nice, especially the border and then further on through the valley.

The elevation of the Brenner pass is 4495’, so saying that 4500’ is “no problem” is, well…

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

The elevation of the Brenner pass is 4495’, so saying that 4500’ is “no problem” is, well…

A miss is as good as a mile, as they say…

EGKB Biggin Hill
Sign in to add your message