Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Piper Arrow G-BVDH down on the Simplon Pass in Switzerland

Peter wrote:

That Skydemon config is pretty subtle. I would bet on 99% of SD users not knowing this stuff.

It’s like saying “I bet on 99% not knowing G1000/GNS430 because it’s complicated”. If you have a tool usually you put down some time to learn it and set it up as you want.

ESME, ESMS

I agree with several posters who fly in mountainous terrain regularly VFR – mountain flying, especially through a pass, is about eyes out and updating your turn back point continuously, and being in a position to turn around.

Fine tuning a moving map, or using a moving map other than for gross error check, is not part of the skill set.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Final point on SD, if flying through a high pass I would consider enabling “High resolution Terrain” at least for planning. It makes for heavy downloads, so I don’t usually have it for flying in southern Sweden / northern Germany, which are about as mountainous as Belgium.

Dimme wrote:

If you have a tool usually you put down some time to learn it and set it up as you want.
It’s pretty useless otherwise, or worse counterproductive/distraction in flight.
ESMK, Sweden

they had a baby in the back, and infants are not supposed to exceed 2000m altitude until they are at least 2 yo, as they don’t compensate so well the reduction of O2 in the air.
Maybe they remained below this level (6000ft supports this theory) until the very last minute thinking they could easily climb once required, and then faced the fact that they couldn’t, because of high DA but more likely because of strong downwinds that caught them unprepared on the wrong side of the valley.

LILC, Italy

turillo1986 wrote:

2000m altitude until they are at least 2 yo

Is that a “new thing”? I flew commercial (in the early 80s) when I was a month old. Cabin altitudes were 8000 ft at the time. Also have a picture of myself on skis, above 2000m, at 13 months.
I don’t have kids myself, but lots of siblings and cousins (some of which were babies when I was already relatively grown up, some who have babies now), and this is the first time I hear this (I saw most of them skiing / taking commercial flights).

Last Edited by Noe at 03 Sep 14:33

I believe @medewok or @kwlf may know if there is a reference for this. 8000ft was posted further back up this thread.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The 8000 ft being the cabin altitude of airliners seems like a hell of a coincidence. Maybe there just aren’t many studies higher (and good luck finding people willing to “lend” their babies (or Drs willing to try – unless of course…)

There are of course plenty of babies born above 8000ft, and I’d imagine that they are not acclimatised since they’ll have been fed by the blood of the mom, which presumably (I’m threading on thin ice here, maybe one of our resident Drs can confirm) has a “normal” O2 level in blood.

Everybody is happy with 8000ft when they are told it is CAT standard (and also I have seen few new borns in Argentiere or Plagne 1800 )

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

what are the poor babies in the Andes, the Himalaya and even the Alps doing ? Ah, of course they don’t know they are so high…… otherwise they would die on the spot.

Last Edited by EuroFlyer at 03 Sep 15:44
Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

turillo1986 wrote:

but more likely because of strong downwinds that caught them unprepared on the wrong side of the valley.

No wind that morning

Last Edited by Gigicret at 03 Sep 15:52
LSGS, Switzerland
Sign in to add your message