Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Piper Arrow G-BVDH down on the Simplon Pass in Switzerland

I found few tries in FSX do really help on what to expect if you fly that pass at MSA in clear day or marginal weather (suprisinghly B737 feels better than C172), the rest is better left to proper mountain instruction…

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Antonio wrote:

Fly close to one side, and as far as possible, on the right side. If you do not have the correct altitude, this will save you.

In my mountain instruction I learned to fly on that side that most probably is the one that has the updrafts. So either the sunny side of the valley or – depending on the wind – the windward side.

Last Edited by Supersonic at 06 Sep 12:18
EDNG, EDST, EDMT, Germany

Supersonic wrote:

In my mountain instruction I learned to fly on that side that most probably is the one that has the updrafts. So either the sunny side of the valley or – depending on the wind – the windward side.

Yes, good points and hence my ‘RH as far as possible’. The RH side is the default in no-wind conditions and in the absence of other overriding factors.

Nonetheless, if you make a mistake or the unwarranted downdraft appears at the wrong location, then as long as you have room to turn around then it does not have to be a deal breaker.

I believe the RH convention is in order to minimize traffic conflicts.

Antonio
LESB, Spain

we try as much as possible to fly right side. Imagine that another plane can arrive in front of you, if you are the 2 of the same side will not be very well ….

LSGS, Switzerland

Gigicret wrote:

we try as much as possible to fly right side. Imagine that another plane can arrive in front of you, if you are the 2 of the same side will not be very well ….

Hm. That certainly sounds correct. But on a good sunny VFR-day in the afternoon, with some westerly winds over the ridges the “right” side to fly might easily be the left side of the valley – esp. in north/south direction.

EDNG, EDST, EDMT, Germany

When I did some valley flying with a mountain instructor, we mostly flew right, but would change to left if updrafts / downdrafts warranted it (usually function of wind / sun)

This is relevant to the altitude discussion here.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Add an additional 190 ft for the temperature error correction. No venturi-effect correction is required as the wind speed at 10 m and 80 m were only 3 kt. The true altitude should have been 6 500 ft (6 674 ft above the ellpsoid, ie so-called GPS altitude) at the last recorded FR24 position N461802 E0080113 (WGS84). At that position the pressure altitude is recorded as 6 100 ft. DH announced the correct QNH of 1021 when reporting 9 NM west of Sion. The accident site given in post 166 by Gigicret has an elevation of 2 132 m (6 996 ft) according to the Swiss digital elevation model (map.geo.admin.ch). The pass elevation was 6 578 ft. See graphic (link).

Last Edited by Qalupalik at 06 Sep 14:30
London, United Kingdom

Question for locals: Could a katabatic wind occur there? Pics show snowcapped peaks. Cold air directed down a side valley.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Qalupalik wrote:

The accident site given in post 166 by Gigicret has an elevation of 2 132 m (6 996 ft)

the location is approximate (on the basis of photo) it could be 200ft lower … But it is on higher than the 6’578 ft but if you do not have enough speed and you have to make a sharp turn ….

LSGS, Switzerland
Sign in to add your message