Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Piper Arrow G-BVDH down on the Simplon Pass in Switzerland

ASN.

This has appeared as the Sion ATC recording: http://archive-server.liveatc.net/lsgs/LSGS-Aug-25-2019-0800Z.mp3

Is the ~9000ft minimum altitude for this pass easily found, e.g. in SD, or with a search on “GAFOR”?

This article together with G-INFO confirms the pilot’s name and occupation, although that publication most likely just got it from G-INFO and assumed nobody else flew the plane.

A German piloted C182 crashed in the Alps a few days ago, too. GA is paying a heavy price for the good but hot weather.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

What is the elevation of the crash site?

Some meters higher than the road at the summit of the pass

I hope he did not fly in QNE

LSGS, Switzerland

Peter wrote:

Is the ~9000ft minimum altitude for this pass easily found, e.g. in SD, or with a search on “GAFOR”?

SD shows the terrain elevation of the pass on the map and by pressing on the forecast box of the GAFOR route, you will get its reference altitude which will be no lower than the highest elevation along the route.

Recommended minimum altitudes (which would also depend on things like how narrow the pass is) is not on SD as far as I can see.

As the crash site has about the same elevation as the pass it is conceivable that the pilot misunderstood the SD information (if he used SD) and/or the GAFOR reference altitude as being the recommended minimum altitude. The pass elevation is written in a style different from the spot elevations, OTOH anyone should be suspicious of a “minimum altitude” given as 6579 feet.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Assume that the pilot is not an “IT type” (he appears to have been a talented musician) and is not familiar with the details of SD. I believe that lack of detail familiarity to be true for the vast majority of SD users, although you get lynched if you say that on the UK sites where SD has a fanatical following…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

If you are planning a flight in Switzerland, you can also check the ICAO map Switzerland here

LSGS, Switzerland

Crosspost with Gigicret.

Last Edited by Bleriot at 27 Aug 08:38
LSZG

I am still more for a CO poisoning after reaching 6000ft while autopilot ON. I don’t see how a pilot with family would enter this pass so low…

LFMD, France

Mooney_Driver wrote:

Is the Arrow really such a dog? After all, it is a 200 hp airplane and 2 adults and a baby even with baggage should not really get him in conflict with MTOW.

Nope. We had an Arrow in our club in Houston (PA-28-200), and as an example, one flight I did to Dallas in it was like this: a friend wanted to do some IFR instruction and was also going on a SCUBA trip. I wanted to do some instrument instruction, and my friend was meeting others in Dallas to start his trip. So we got our favorite instrument instructor, loaded the plane with SCUBA gear, and my friend did the flight up, and I did the one back to Houston after we dropped him and his SCUBA gear off.

We were most definitely close to or if not right at gross – 3 adults, scuba gear for one, fuel.

We had no trouble getting to our cruising altitude of 8000’, and given it was Houston summer, it had to be at least ISA +15.

The Arrow is a perfectly good light aircraft and has the performance you’d expect from a 4 seat 200hp plane, so long as you lean the mixture and operating it correctly. Even if you’re a bit sloppy with the mixture or don’t run it at WOT above 5000’ you’ll probably still make it to 8000’ on a warm day albeit with a reduced climb rate.

As pilots we’ll speculate of course, but I’d like to see some analysis of the accident before jumping to any conclusions.

Last Edited by alioth at 27 Aug 09:18
Andreas IOM

greg_mp wrote:

I am still more for a CO poisoning after reaching 6000ft while autopilot ON. I don’t see how a pilot with family would enter this pass so low…

CO poisoning at 6’000ft ? certainly impossible for an adult

LSGS, Switzerland

Gigicret wrote:

CO poisoning at 6’000ft ? certainly impossible for an adult

How is CO poisoning dependent on altitude? Are you confusing with Hypoxia?

Sign in to add your message