Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

"Line up and wait" - how long would you be confortable waiting?

On the other hand (not that I have ever done or though about it), what would be the issue about being at 45 degrees on the line?

Speed I apologise if I mis-understood your statements. Clarity is everything in communication, especially in aviation.

Last Edited by Fenland_Flyer at 31 Aug 09:29
UK, United Kingdom

The answers are more heated than what I was expecting. I got the LUAW clearance and the CTOT got updated during the taxi time.

I had previously spent a full hour between security and coordinacion, mostly because the first person I met at the coordinacion wasn’t speaking a word of english and didn’t want to read what google translate was giving me. The controller started to repeat that it was the first time she was seeing CTOT updates and sounded a bit confused. So I didn’t feel safe at all and I asked for taxi back.

@speed, the tone of your comment about sticking to uncontrolled airfields was remarkably aligned with my opinion about flying GA in Spain. I don’t have loads of experience but I’ve a CPL and I’ve flown on 3 continents, and I have 3 children in the cabin; I was the first time I felt unsafe on the ground.

Repeat of my posting at 05.
“Surely if any doubt (feeling uncomfortable) you call them on the radio and confirm your location and that you are ‘lined up and waiting’ – does that seem reasonable or particularly difficult ?”
i.e. as mentioned in the thread ‘Check In’ would be the thing to do – no brainer.

Regret no current medical
Was Sandtoft EGCF, North England, United Kingdom

Yes definitely. I did check in a couple of times and I was only getting “standby” or no reply at all. It’s the overall impression of confusion that made me uneasy, but again it was just an impression. I got the takeoff clearance right after requesting the taxi back and nobody mentioned that slot thing ever again.

Copy that wieferrand – not a good experience. A reply of ‘standby’ sort of says ‘I know your there’. But after checking in a couple of times a more definitive reply from ATC might have been helpful.

@Noe wrote

On the other hand (not that I have ever done or though about it), what would be the issue about being at 45 degrees on the line?

Nothing wrong. Indeed, rather obvious SOP for a bushplane or helicopter. Not only does it enable the pilot to see the runway approach, but also to see the departure path which would otherwise be hidden by the cowling until the tail is up.

It also avoids wasting power with yaw pedals or rudder, potentially saving a valuable? few feet of runway – or microgrammes of CO2.

Related question: when cleared by ATC to enter a runway, does anyone not look left and right as they do so?

Last Edited by Jacko at 31 Aug 12:10
Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

I would look both ways when cleared by ATC to enter a runway, I do the same at a ‘green’ traffic lights (only if fleetingly).
However I would not expect to skew my aircraft to 45 deg (effectively making a 135 deg pivot turn) at a full ATC airport.
In the ‘bush’ maybe.
Under full ATC control, and if in doubt, would ‘Check In’ and again (second time) if not happy.

Maybe a simple ‘skew’ 45 deg left while lined-up would enable P1 to see behind. But still would not expect to do it at full ATC.

Last Edited by WarleyAir at 31 Aug 13:10

Again on a big runways you don’t have to be in the center line, with CO mania and hot weather I like setting into wind with door/window wide open, takes 5 seconds to close the lot :)

I avoid guessing what ATC have in mind, you are giving an instruction, you comply, if you have doubts ask, if it does not look great don’t do it

@Noe you recall ATC LUAW after the landing A320 with wake turbulence on the menu, while we reminded ATC on WT, he dimissed it by another LUAW and later he asked A320 to backtrack, that took load of minutes…

Last Edited by Ibra at 31 Aug 15:52
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message