How would you react to this TAF

Freeport, Bahamas:

MYGF 012300Z 0200/0224 33050G100KT 1600 +TSRA BKN012CB BKN090 OVC200
FM021300 VRB80G200KT 800 +TSRA BKN009CB OVC050

Take a C152 and make a vertical takeoff, then a backward flight

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

172driver wrote:

VRB80G200KT

Wow! Good time to practice hovering skills. In fixed wing…
Or not? :)

EGTR

That would see me on my way to the Field to add extra Tie-downs.

United Kingdom

Hopfully a proper tie-down not 10kg weights under each wing (I am still puzzled how that prevents 1T aircrafts with 50kts stall speeds from moving on 35kts winds?)

Anyway good luck to people over there as they would have to run for other stuff than the tie-down of an aircraft…

Last Edited by Ibra at 02 Sep 23:41
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

There does not seem to be metreports from the airport for the last couple of days.

huv
EKRK, Denmark

Seriously ?
https://twitter.com/kionnemcghee/status/1168540276949954560?s=21
Lots of folks lose everything they have, even their life.

Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

I have been so busy that I haven’t seen any news.
That’s horrific. I really feel for these people.
We have it very easy in most parts of Europe.
Even with big floods, we never get close to that level of devatation.

United Kingdom

I’ve always hoped that if I was over there (in the 172 from the west coast) when of these things rolled in, I’d have time to fly away. Failing that, I’d seek cover in the FBO’s hangar and check my insurance policy. No tie down’s going to cope with that, or anything like it. I tie my Warrior down in UK for 35kt, subject to much giggling from the clubhouse. I’d rather write on the claim form how it was the other aircraft that blew into mine…

EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom

Aveling wrote:

I tie my Warrior down in UK for 35kt, subject to much giggling from the clubhouse

I don’t understand the lack of tiedowns in the UK, or the practise of tying 10kg lumps of concrete to the tiedown rings (planes have taken off with these things still attached to the tail – a wing that’s designed to make over a metric tonne of lift isn’t going to be stopped by a small cast lump of cement). Thunderstorms with strong outflow can and do happen in the UK, and they can easily move a plane or put one on its back.

Andreas IOM
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message