Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How would you react to this TAF

Anticipating similar local TAFs, a friend of mine at KHWO reacted by getting in his Bonanza and flying west (go west my boy) to Houston a couple of days ago. Smart move.

Re tie downs, in May 1983 (yes I’m that old) ATC evacuated the tower at Houston Intercontinental (now G Bush) when they saw one or more funnel clouds on the airport perimeter heading their way. Some jets were damaged. The morning after, in the eerie calm after the storm, I went out to Andrau airpark where our C177 was tied down, my fingers crossed. A C152 was on its back, tie downs still attached to large concrete weights. Our aircraft, tied down on the next row from the inverted 152, was untouched.

It happens in Malta too – this was in Feb 2014:

NeilC
EGPT, LMML

I believe many of the insurers cover the fees for pilots flying their aircraft out of the path of these hurricanes, certainly cheaper than paying out on a hill loss.

alioth wrote:

I don’t understand the lack of tiedowns in the UK

It’s a macho thing. There’s even an inverted snobbery about who can provide the flimsiest attachments on the rare occasions when they do tie down. A trader at the the LAA rally last weekend had a bunch of those corkscrew things. My daughter had one of those to stop her horse eating the entire field. He took a dislike to it, and very slowly straightened his neck. The thing just uncoiled, and came out of the ground like a bit of straggly string. I’m sure the aviation ones are better quality, obviously.

EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom

NeilC wrote:

I went out to Andrau airpark

Small world. I met my now wife at Andrau Airpark (she took me flying to IAH in her TriPacer!)

Andreas IOM
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message