Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Are you experienced with the Beech Travelair

I own a Beech Travelair and may need some help for flying it for aproxiamtely 7 hours. It is a private airplane and this is just a matter of moving it to winter storage. Send me PM if interested.

Thanks, Arne

Arne, where are you based? You might want to update your profile detail.

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

I am based in Norway, but this is a flight from Lituania to EDOP Germany, and then to Norway. I will cover costs.

Just out of interest, I had RocketRoute calculate an IFR route to Lithuania (Kaunas) from my home airport and I was surprised to see the route cross Kaliningrad (albeit at FL200). Can one overfly Russian territory without prior permission?

No, you cannot. I also noted this behaviour of RR, when planming EDHL - EYPA. RR is not "smart" with these things. Another example is flying from EDHL to, say, L2K. The shortest routing (and thus the one proposed by RR) has you (totally unneccessarily) cross the channel twice (!). Now, I know this would probably not be flown like this, but I still don't like having something like that in my cleared routing.

As nice as RR is (I have been using it extensively for over a year now), it has a few (minor) shortcomings. One is that you cannot define "exclusions", such as Kaliningrad.. (The only thing you can do is "influence" the routings by using a "must overfly point", but that's more of a workaround.

What it should do is automatically propose 2 or 3 possible routings and depict them graphically all at once. BTW, dfs-ais.de does give you several routings to choose from, but it has no graphical depictions whatsoever. Another pity with RR is that it never uses DCTs to shorten otherwise very dodgy routings.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I'd rather blame Eurocontrol for the Kaliningrad routing, not RocketRoute. The knowledge about what is possible and what not lies with the almighty computer in Brussels. RocketRoute just iteratively feeds routings to it until it gets something it thinks is good.

I'm also a bit disappointed by the lack of progress in RocketRoute's routing engine and graphical representation. Their Google Maps based display is clumsy and slow, I wish it would be more like skyvector.com. Also it is easy to find out which FIRs allow which kind of DCTs and use them. Of course it would increase the complexity a bit and probably require more iterations with the Eurocontrol computer. They have been talking about RocketRoute 2.0 in October/November so stay tuned.

Routines going over Kaliningrad are always interesting. They validate fine, but when you actually file them the filing agency (ie rocketroute support) get a flurry of nyeht nyeht... from the Russians and work up a new plan - an irritating known problem that should be resolved soon.

On DCTs, there are often ways to hack around the various rad restrictions (like routing via MID000001 when MID is forbidden, but these often result in ATC giving you a totally different route in real life. Also, the CFMU validation doesn't check to make sure the DCT remains in controlled airspace, is terrain safe, doesn't infringe some restricted airspace - as such, you need to apply judgement to short cutting with DCTs. Judgement is not something that is easy to implement in code - and even more difficult to communicate to the end user !

I find that picking the arrival point I want to use as a mandatory point (like ABB in the LFAT example) generally gets rocketroute to give me the route I wanted.

EGTF
7 Posts
Sign in to add your message