Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Oxford EGTK opening hours

Slightly niche for this forum but:
- I hear everything isn’t going too well with the opening hours particularly FBO backlash
- Issue is a lack of ATC nationwide in the UK – what are the knock-on effects
- Losing a key player in 6:30am-10:30pm availability

Is this another example of where it’s impossible to work hours of operation in the UK that don’t cost a fortune?

We're glad you're here
Oxford EGTK

That’s a pain ! What are the new opening hours ?

Alex
Shoreham (EGKA) White Waltham (EGLM), United Kingdom

Don’t know any specifics at Oxford, but if Cambridge and Cranfield are anything to go by the problem is really just a UK-specific can’t-do attitude.

I am yet to hear a convincing explanation why publishing the following does not solve the problems:

During hours XXXX-XXXX aerodrome will be unlicensed
No radar, fire cover or ATC is available
Pilots are to announce intentions on tower frequency
Lights will be switched off at XXXX

EGLM & EGTN

Graham wrote:

Don’t know any specifics at Oxford, but if Cambridge and Cranfield are anything to go by the problem is really just a UK-specific can’t-do attitude.

Seems specific to the the area postcode
I get the same problem with hotel/Inn, you have to be at 9pm to collect the keys, literally no other ways

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

I get the same problem with hotel/Inn,

It’s because many of the operators are alumni of the Basil Fawlty school of management. And not forgetting that the land is far more valuable for residential development, once you’ve expunged the irritating and unrewarding hotel business.

EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom

Apparently the issue is general ATC staffing issues which is a problem UK-wide but I agree with @Graham, sometimes the simple solutions just aren’t possible.

We're glad you're here
Oxford EGTK

Yes lack of ATC staff could be a problem for them but EGTR FISO style with a “can-do attitude” is all they need?

In any case, Oxford is still in far better state than Cambridge/Cranfield…

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

There is a peculiar UK management style which constantly imagines liability where none exists.

In their minds, no activity of any sort can ever take place unless it is risk-assessed and appropriately insured against mishap. I do wonder how they manage to walk down the street every day, because that sure as hell isn’t insured.

EGLM & EGTN
8 Posts
Sign in to add your message